According to the magazine gpweek.com Jorge Martinez Aspar has now finalized the deal with Kawasaki to run a NEW factory Kawsaki team in the MotoGP class next season. The rider is said to be current 250cc championship contender and former 125cc world champion Alvaro Bautista.
The quote in full:
A NEW one-rider second Kawasaki team for next year will add to the grids, and has helped other contracts fall into place, as the 2009 line-up nears finality.
The team, with a new Spanish telephone company sponsor, will be run by former multi-80/125cc champion Jorge ‘Aspar’ Martinez, and will field current 250 star and former 125 champion Alvaro Bautista on a Kawasaki.
This ends Martinez’s long quest to add a MotoGP team to his impressive portfolio of 250 and 125 teams, increasing his influence in the paddock. Martinez had previously been in negotiation with Suzuki, but was told earlier this year they would not be able to supply him with a motorcycle.
Spanish media already reported this weekend that Jorge Martinez is in negotiations with Kawasaki and wanted to seal the deal before the next race in Misano in two weeks time. The riders in question were Alvaro Bautista and Toni Elias. However, nothing was said about a finalized contract, so it remains to be seen if this news is indeed true or maybe just a case of jumping to conclusions a little to early.
- WorldSBK Prosecco DOC UK Round, Donington Park: Preview – World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300, STK1000 May 22, 2018
- Albert Arenas 1st in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Disappointing race for Iker Lecuona in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo takes the flag in sixth place at Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Alex Rins reaches target in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Tito Rabat leaves Le Mans without reward May 20, 2018
- Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya changes: “It’s better for us” May 24, 2018
- Vote for your favourite Motul Blooper! May 24, 2018
- Rabat discharged from hospital, aiming to race at Mugello May 24, 2018
- Marquez to test a Formula 1 car May 24, 2018
- MotoGP™ eSport Championship returns in 2018 May 24, 2018
- Rabat hospitalised after testing crash May 24, 2018