After the shock announcement that Kawasaki is set to leave the MotoGP class with immediate effect due to the financial crisis, Jorge Martinez Aspar is now once again in talks to possibly run ex-works Kawasakis in the MotoGP championship in 2009. Autosport.com reports:
Leading 125cc and 250cc team Aspar are working on a deal to run the ex-works Kawasakis in MotoGP this year following the Japanese manufacturer’s decision to quit the series.
As reported by autosport.com earlier this week, Kawasaki is set to officially confirm its exit from MotoGP in the coming days, leaving just four factory teams on the grid.
Aspar came close to agreeing a satellite Kawasaki deal for 2009, only for the plan to fall through because Kawasaki’s preferred rider Shinya Nakano was not favoured by Aspar’s Spanish backers.
But now Aspar boss Jorge Martinez says talks have resumed as championship organiser Dorna works to keep a Kawasaki presence in MotoGP.
“At the moment I’m on vacation with my family,” Martinez told Gazzetta dello Sport. “However, since it has been known that Kawasaki was not taking part next season, my vacations have practically finished.
“For the last two days I’ve been on the phone with Dorna. They called me first. We are in contact and talks to buy out the two Kawasakis have started.
“For sure I’m very interested in MotoGP. It’s a project that was already in my plans. Now there is this opportunity which I don’t yet know with certainty whether it will come to be and how. From my part there is the will to talk. We’ll see.”
Kawasaki already had John Hopkins and Marco Melandri under contract for 2009. The American’s personal sponsorship from energy drink company Monster could prove valuable to any team taking on the Kawasakis, and although Martinez was unwilling to discuss rider plans, he hinted that he would also be happy to retain Melandri.
“The matter regarding riders isn’t a priority at the moment,” said Martinez.
“I certainly wouldn’t have any problem with Melandri. In fact, he’s a rider I’ve always liked very much.”
Martinez would be able to get the bikes at no cost, because Kawaski has a contract with Dorna to stay in the championship until 2011 and a breach of contract would cost them a few millions. This way they would avoid that situation and Aspar had more options for sponsors and riders.
Dorna is very interested in keeping Kawasaki on the grid since only 17 bikes on the grid would be one bike short of the world championship status and Dorna is eager to retain that status, especially in light of recent image damage compared to World Superbikes.
TeamAspar.net will keep you updated on any new developments concerning a possible Aspar Kawasaki Team.
- Industry news: BT Sport to continue as the home of MotoGP until 2021 February 21, 2018
- WorldSBK, Phillip Island preview: World Superbike & World Supersport February 21, 2018
- WorldSBK Test, Phillip Island: Rea ends on top as one second covers the top ten February 20, 2018
- WorldSBK Phillip Island Test: Day one roundup – World Superbike, World Supersport February 19, 2018
- Thailand MotoGP test, day two: Marquez blasts below the 1:30 bracket at Buriram February 17, 2018
- Buriram test, day 1: Crutchlow and Rins take first honours in Thailand February 16, 2018
- Syahrin to line up full-time with Tech 3 in 2018 February 21, 2018
- Kork Ballington to become a MotoGP™ Legend February 20, 2018
- Repsol Honda Team unveil new 2018 livery in Jakarta February 20, 2018
- Poncharal: “I want to keep Syahrin for 2018” February 20, 2018
- Crutchlow impressed by Nakagami February 20, 2018
- Yamaha: “We have to improve in all areas” February 19, 2018