MotoGPMatters reports on the question of whether Alvaro will ride with Aspar in MotoGP next season as coming to a head this weekend at Brno, citing stories from the likes of Marca and GPOne that suggest Bati signed a pre-contract of some kind with Suzuki in the middle of 2008, and that a ride on the vacant Ducati seat in Aspar’s new MotoGP team is by no means a certainty.
Says David Emmett:
Aspar has a problem. Alvaro Bautista has already signed a pre-contract with Suzuki last summer, according to the reports, and is not inclined to pay the penalty which breaking that commitment would involve. As a result, Bautista is increasingly leaning towards finalizing a deal with Suzuki to ride for the Rizla squad for 2010. His choice is also influenced by the fact that he will be able to go straight to a factory team, Suzuki having received a dispensation from the rookie rule which forces new entrants to sign with satellite squads.
Up against this, Aspar can offer a contract directly with Ducati, but riding in the Aspar team. Bautista would be assured of strong support from Ducati Corse, and the option of moving up to the factory squad should his results be good enough. Of course, with so many riders struggling to tame the Desmosedici, Bautista may not want to risk that option, and the Spaniard has in the past flat out refused to ride the Ducati.
The various reports suggest that there will be emergency meetings in the Brno paddock with Aspar and Alvaro’s management to try and nail the matter – and that whatever the outcome, Jorge Martinez will name his rider this weeked, probably on Thursday or Friday.
- WorldSBK Test, Phillip Island: Rea ends on top as one second covers the top ten February 20, 2018
- WorldSBK Phillip Island Test: Day one roundup – World Superbike, World Supersport February 19, 2018
- Thailand MotoGP test, day two: Marquez blasts below the 1:30 bracket at Buriram February 17, 2018
- Buriram test, day 1: Crutchlow and Rins take first honours in Thailand February 16, 2018
- Buriram awaits as MotoGP testing heads for Thailand and the newest venue on the calendar February 15, 2018
- Marc Marquez and Dani Pedrosa ready to test at Buriram International Circuit February 15, 2018
- Kork Ballington to become a MotoGP™ Legend February 20, 2018
- Repsol Honda Team unveil new 2018 livery in Jakarta February 20, 2018
- Poncharal: “I want to keep Syahrin for 2018” February 20, 2018
- Crutchlow impressed by Nakagami February 20, 2018
- Yamaha: “We have to improve in all areas” February 19, 2018
- Lorenzo: “In Sepang we felt much better” February 18, 2018