For those of us who want to see Alvaro go up into MotoGP with Aspar next season, this weekend looks like being the crunch.
There are reports around from the likes of Marca and GPOne that suggest Bati signed a pre-contract of some kind with Suzuki in the middle of 2008, and that a ride on the vacant Ducati seat in Aspar’s new MotoGP team is by no means a certainty.
Not only would breaking the pre-contract probably ensure a hefty financial penalty of some kind, but also it’s worth bearing in mind that the Rizla Suzuki team are a factory squad who have been given leave not to stick to the controversial “rookie rule” and there may well be benefits to a factory Suzuki ride over a “satellite” Ducati squad such as Aspar’s.
Nonetheless I think many of us would like to see the relationship with Jorge Martinez continue – and continue to develop. There would be a definite expectation of good support from both Ducati and Aspar himself, and of course there’s the possibility of the factory Ducati ride in 2011. And while the Ducati has been, let’s face it, a bit of a handful for pretty much everyone except Casey Stoner, Suzuki have hardly been setting the world on fire either.
There’s a lot to decide. And soon, as it’s suggested that meetings will happen between Martinez and Alvaro’s management on Thursday at Brno and that – whatever – Aspar will, as far as we’re aware, be definitely announcing his 2010 line-up this weekend.
- Industry news: BT Sport to continue as the home of MotoGP until 2021 February 21, 2018
- WorldSBK, Phillip Island preview: World Superbike & World Supersport February 21, 2018
- WorldSBK Test, Phillip Island: Rea ends on top as one second covers the top ten February 20, 2018
- WorldSBK Phillip Island Test: Day one roundup – World Superbike, World Supersport February 19, 2018
- Thailand MotoGP test, day two: Marquez blasts below the 1:30 bracket at Buriram February 17, 2018
- Buriram test, day 1: Crutchlow and Rins take first honours in Thailand February 16, 2018
- Across the globe: a look at MotoGP™’s nationalities February 21, 2018
- Bagnaia confirmed in MotoGP™ in 2019 and 2020 February 21, 2018
- Zarco and Goyon talk 'surprising' debut for Syahrin February 21, 2018
- BT Sport to continue as the home of MotoGP™ until 2021 February 21, 2018
- Espargaro: "I'd love a teammate like Marc or Dani" February 21, 2018
- Syahrin to line up full-time with Tech 3 in 2018 February 21, 2018