A good showing from Aleix Espargaró on his debut MotoGP weekend saw the Catalan rider soon get to grips with the Desmosedici GP9 Sat in practice on Friday and Saturday, before producing a decent performance in the race to cross the line in 13th place and pick up three points.
That he had not qualified in last place and that he managed to beat regular MotoGP rider Gabor Talmacsi in the race despite an early off-track excursion speaks volumes for the 20 year-old, who made history as the youngest ever Spanish rider to compete in a premier class contest.
It was a great day for the older Espargaró, with his younger brother Pol joining him on the grid before the MotoGP race having himself triumphed in the 125cc race earlier in the afternoon.
Afterwards Espargaró commented, “I started the race really well, but after only a few corners I was stuck in a group of riders and I couldn’t manage to avoid Toni Elías. I am very sorry about that because Toni is a good friend of mine. Anyway, I managed to get back on track quickly, but it wasn’t easy to ride alone.”
The Pramac Racing replacement rider continued, “I tried to maintain a good rhythm and at the end I got three points in my first MotoGP race, which is not so bad. Now I know the bike a bit better and I believe we can do much better in Misano on a circuit that I particularly like.”
- Thailand MotoGP test, day two: Marquez blasts below the 1:30 bracket at Buriram February 17, 2018
- Buriram test, day 1: Crutchlow and Rins take first honours in Thailand February 16, 2018
- Buriram awaits as MotoGP testing heads for Thailand and the newest venue on the calendar February 15, 2018
- Marc Marquez and Dani Pedrosa ready to test at Buriram International Circuit February 15, 2018
- Alex Marquez on top in Moto2 as Arbolino reigns Moto3 at Jerez test February 14, 2018
- FIM MotoGP™ World Championship race durations to change February 13, 2018
- Smith on KTM: “We’ve got some solutions here already” February 17, 2018
- Miller: “Being patient isn’t one of my strong points!” February 17, 2018
- Yamaha: MV25 and VR46 talk Day 2 February 17, 2018
- #ThaiTest: Marquez blasts below the 1:30 bracket at Buriram February 17, 2018
- Syahrin impresses in first MotoGP™ session February 16, 2018
- Three aero fairings a charm for Ducati? February 16, 2018