Aleix Espargaro said he was very pleased with how quickly he had adapted to MotoGP after taking a promising 13th place in Friday practice at Misano.
The 20-year-old Spaniard has been brought into the Pramac Ducati line-up while usual rider Mika Kallio deputises for Casey Stoner in the factory team, and having finishing 13th from 16th on the grid at Indianapolis, he impressed the paddock with his pace in today’s session, where he was faster than his team-mate Niccolo Canepa.
“I’m very happy,” Espargaro told the official MotoGP website. “At Indy we did a great job. I tried to understand a lot of things during the race, and I think we arrived here stronger than at Indianapolis.”
He said his best times in practice at Misano had come after he had calmed his riding style following an anxious start.
“Today I started a little bit nervous and I made a lot of mistakes, I went wide out of corners,” Espargaro explained. “Then when I stopped in the pits I tried to be a little bit more calm and the final run was good.”
He ended the day only 1.822s behind pace-setter Valentino Rossi’s Yamaha, and is confident that he will continue to improve through the weekend.
“We are less than two seconds from the top time, and less than a second from the first Ducati, and this is important,” said Espargaro. “The team has done a great job because step by step we are always improving my problems.”
- WorldSBK, Phillip Island preview: World Superbike & World Supersport February 21, 2018
- WorldSBK Test, Phillip Island: Rea ends on top as one second covers the top ten February 20, 2018
- WorldSBK Phillip Island Test: Day one roundup – World Superbike, World Supersport February 19, 2018
- Thailand MotoGP test, day two: Marquez blasts below the 1:30 bracket at Buriram February 17, 2018
- Buriram test, day 1: Crutchlow and Rins take first honours in Thailand February 16, 2018
- Buriram awaits as MotoGP testing heads for Thailand and the newest venue on the calendar February 15, 2018
- Kork Ballington to become a MotoGP™ Legend February 20, 2018
- Repsol Honda Team unveil new 2018 livery in Jakarta February 20, 2018
- Poncharal: “I want to keep Syahrin for 2018” February 20, 2018
- Crutchlow impressed by Nakagami February 20, 2018
- Yamaha: “We have to improve in all areas” February 19, 2018
- Lorenzo: “In Sepang we felt much better” February 18, 2018