Despite still adapting to the Moto2 class, Marc Márquez keeps amazing every day with his performances. After finishing second yesterday in the first free practice session and sixth in the second, today the 125cc World Champion set the second fastest time in the third FP, ahead of riders with a lot more experience.
With a fast pace from the beginning, Marquez showed a great consistency during the 45 minutes that lasted today’s session. He rode constantly with times of 2 minutes and 2 seconds. By midsession, the rider had already reduced his register to 2 minutes and 1 second, always riding with used tyres in order to work in the race set-up.
Márquez kept improving lap after lap and in the fourth and last sector of Losail track, which allowed him to reduced yesterday’s time by more than half a second. Five minutes before the end, Emilio Alzamora’s pupil took the lead of the classification, but a Stefan Bradl attacked with a superb time in the last minute. The German rider was the only one to ride below the 2 minutes and 1 second mark.
After the three practice sessions held, tomorrow the Moto2 riders will face the 45-minutes qualifying session to define the positions of the grid.
Marc Márquez 2’01.754 sec, 19 laps, 102 km.
“During today’s session I steadily improved my laps time and I felt very comfortable on the bike. We still have some margin to improve and I hope that I will be able to find some solutions later together with my team. I have to improve some things at the entrance of the corners and specially at the exit, as I have some bad habits from 125cc. The times we set today were with hard tyres, so tomorrow we will so how we go with qualifying tyres. At the end we had a minor problem, as we run out of fuel when I was going back to the garage”.
Source: Repsol Media
- Qatar GP, Losail – Qualifying roundup: MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 March 17, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo on row 3 for Qatar GP March 17, 2018
- Iker Lecuona on fifth row at Losail March 17, 2018
- Jorge Martin misses Qatari pole by the slimmest of gaps March 17, 2018
- Tough start for Pol Espargaro in Qatar March 17, 2018
- Tito Rabat ready for the first race of the season in Qatar March 17, 2018
- Marquez vs Dovi: Sunday set up for a showdown March 17, 2018
- Zarco: From gravel trap to pole position at #QatarGP March 17, 2018
- Desert duel: Noguchi vs Aji lights up Losail March 17, 2018
- New TV graphics for 2018: keep track like never before March 17, 2018
- The battle to beat Zarco in Sunday’s sensational #QatarGP March 17, 2018
- Miller tops Q1 by narrow margin under the floodlights March 17, 2018