The Spanish Grand Prix got underway at Jerez today but it wasn’t a local rider who set the pace in the opening practice sessions. Dani Pedrosa did his best to please the home crowd but finished 0.028 shy of his team-mate Casey Stoner, who continued with his dominant performance from Qatar. The MotoGP field had two sessions today, one in perfect weather this morning and a second one in the afternoon when 30km/h winds led to slower times and more than the odd crash.
Like most riders Héctor Barberá set his fastest lap of the day, a 1’41.601, in the morning although he came close to it in the afternoon with a 1’41.665. The MAPFRE Aspar rider finished the day thirteenth fastest overall but some way off finding his best level of performance and that of his Ducati. Stability under acceleration is his main focus for tomorrow although he has a clear idea of how it can be found.
13th Héctor Barberá 1.41.601 (36 laps): “Today didn’t go as I had hoped, we struggled to find the right set-up for the bike. In Qatar everything was more simple because apart from the free practice sessions at the Grand Prix we had also had two days of prior testing there. Here we’re starting from scratch and I am seven tenths off the position where I think I should be, so there is no need to panic. It was a decent shakedown today. Our main objective was to get some laps in on used tyres and get a better idea for the race. We struggled for stability under acceleration but tomorrow we’ll try a new swingarm and play around with the geometry of the Ducati to try and get more grip.”
Source: Mapfre Aspar
- WorldSBK, Thailand: Day one roundup March 23, 2018
- NOT the MotoGP News: Midnight at the oasis… Send your motorbike to bed March 23, 2018
- FIM CEV Repsol 2018 season gets underway at Estoril this weekend March 22, 2018
- A race to forget for Iker Lecuona in Losail March 19, 2018
- Marc Marquez starts 2018 with a brilliant podium in Qatar, Dani Pedrosa fights hard for 7th March 19, 2018
- Alex Márquez opens the season with podium in Qatar, Joan Mir finishes 11th March 19, 2018
- It’s race time! Sleek MotoGP Designs for your mobile device March 23, 2018
- Back to Buriram as the Asia Talent Cup race back-to-back March 23, 2018
- Mr. Steady is ready March 23, 2018
- FIM CEV Repsol curtain-raiser in Estoril March 23, 2018
- The FIM ratchets up support for the Handy Race at Le Mans March 22, 2018
- Arenas undergoes successful surgery March 22, 2018