The race of the Grand Prix of Spain was held in the wet and under steady rain which started to become stronger with about twelve of the 26 laps still to go in the second race of the 2011 World Championship. In these difficult conditions Yonny Hernandez crossed the finish line in 14th and his Blusens-STX teammate Tito Rabat followed just behind him to score points for the second consecutive race.
Rabat had a race going from low to high and although he struggled at the beginning to find a good pace, this has been the first time for him to ride a Moto2 bike in the wet and from the middle of the race he made a spectacular recovery which took him from way outside the Top 20 up to finish in the Top 15, scoring points again and moving to 19th position in the championship. In the rookies ranking he is currently 6th. The Catalan was able to do similar laptimes as the riders fighting for victory and in the last lap he set his personal best laptime.
34 TITO RABAT (15º. 50’43.616, +47.193): “Yesterday afternoon we changed the chassis and put in a new one. This morning I had to try it in the warm up and the track was wet. I had never ridden a four-stroke in the wet, but it went quite well; despite this, when I’ve seen myself in 30th I thought that if the race was in the wet too it would go very badly. At the beginning I was riding slow, but little by little I got my rhythm and felt more confident and several riders who had passed me I now went ahead again and I’ve moved up the positions until in the last lap I passed Kallio and got into the points. I’m very, very happy to have scored points again and also because I enjoy riding this bike like a little kid. I think I had a very good progression in this race and even at the end I could ride similar laptimes as those at the front. In the first two races I’ve done in this category I have scored points and I’m very happy about that, but also because the team is working very well and helping me a lot. There is passion and this is the most important thing.”
Source: Team BQR
- #USWorldSBK – Day 2: Rea roars ahead to seventh win in 2018 at Laguna Seca June 24, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – European Talent Cup highlights June 19, 2018
- Fernandez confirmed at Pons HP 40 for remainder of 2018 June 24, 2018
- Half way through the season: the reasons to watch WorldSBK June 22, 2018
- Marquez swaps engine for pedals ahead of Dutch GP June 22, 2018
- Bastianini: “Next year I’ll race in Moto2” June 22, 2018
- Pirro: "I can't wait to get on the bike" June 21, 2018
- Lowes: “I could have fought for the podium” June 21, 2018