As predicted heavy rains and strong wind hit the Portuguese race track last night so the premier class riders and teams have found difficult track conditions in today’s second day of practices. Most of the riders preferred to sit out this morning free session for safety reasons but the sky looked threatening in the afternoon qualifying session as well with air temperature of 18 degrees (26 on the asphalt).
Low track temperatures and rear grip issues affected LCR Honda MotoGP rider Toni Elias’ performance in the 60-minute qualifying session with the Spaniard posting the 17th lap time (1’39.894). After yesterday’s positive improvements Elias was hoping for a better spot on the grid but he could not make the most of his RCV in these conditions struggling with rear grip.
Toni Elias – 17° – 1’39.894: “Unfortunately we are back to our initial set up problems. The track temperature in the afternoon was too low compared with yesterday and we struggled to warm up the rear tyre. Then we have started to have some front grip issues through the session and I was losing the front in many corners. Yesterday I was more positive about my feeling on the bike but in these conditions I could not warm up the rear tyre and I am a bit frustrating now. We’ll see if we can fix this problem because I know I can be faster than this”.
Source: LCR Honda
- #USWorldSBK – Day 2: Rea roars ahead to seventh win in 2018 at Laguna Seca June 24, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – European Talent Cup highlights June 19, 2018
- Fernandez confirmed at Pons HP 40 for remainder of 2018 June 24, 2018
- Half way through the season: the reasons to watch WorldSBK June 22, 2018
- Marquez swaps engine for pedals ahead of Dutch GP June 22, 2018
- Bastianini: “Next year I’ll race in Moto2” June 22, 2018
- Pirro: "I can't wait to get on the bike" June 21, 2018
- Lowes: “I could have fought for the podium” June 21, 2018