As predicted heavy rains and strong wind hit the Portuguese race track last night so the premier class riders and teams have found difficult track conditions in today’s second day of practices. Most of the riders preferred to sit out this morning free session for safety reasons but the sky looked threatening in the afternoon qualifying session as well with air temperature of 18 degrees (26 on the asphalt).
Low track temperatures and rear grip issues affected LCR Honda MotoGP rider Toni Elias’ performance in the 60-minute qualifying session with the Spaniard posting the 17th lap time (1’39.894). After yesterday’s positive improvements Elias was hoping for a better spot on the grid but he could not make the most of his RCV in these conditions struggling with rear grip.
Toni Elias – 17° – 1’39.894: “Unfortunately we are back to our initial set up problems. The track temperature in the afternoon was too low compared with yesterday and we struggled to warm up the rear tyre. Then we have started to have some front grip issues through the session and I was losing the front in many corners. Yesterday I was more positive about my feeling on the bike but in these conditions I could not warm up the rear tyre and I am a bit frustrating now. We’ll see if we can fix this problem because I know I can be faster than this”.
Source: LCR Honda
- “We will do our best to make our people proud of us”
- Marquez: the king of the crashers!
- PTT Thailand Grand Prix voted best of 2018
- Crowd pleasers: MotoGP™'s biggest weekends of the season
- F.C.C. to continue as official clutch supplier to Moto2™
- Argentina to host MotoGP™ until 2021
- XControllers, new official licensee of MotoGP™
- An abundance of World Champions lineup in MotoGP™ for 2019