In the third race of the season during the bwin Grande Premio de Portugal, the Spaniard Luis Salom finisht at an eighth place. In the last lap the RW Racing GP rider manage to grab the eighth place from his fellow countryman Adrian Martin.
The weather forecast did not look good for this weekend and especially on race day the predictions were not good. Despite all the races were held today in dry weather. Luis Salom started the race from the seventh position and had a very good start. The Spaniard was the first lap in fourth place and even tried to take over third position from the German Sandro Cortese. Salom almost succeeded but went too wide and therefore even lost two places and dropped back to sixth place. After a mistake in the fourth lap, the RW Racing GP rider dropped back in ninth position and couldn’t keep up the pace of the leaders.
Due the crash of Hector Faubel Salom climbed back to eighth position but in the latter part of the 23 lap race, Salom got a visit of the Spaniard Adrian Martin. The last four laps, both Spaniards fought a fierce battle that was settled in Salom’s favor. Salom passed Martin on the finish line with only a couple of hundredst of a second and took the eight position. The Spanish talent took eight points championship points and move up to a ninth spot in the standings.
Luis Salom (8th): “It was a difficult race today. The start was great and I could join the fastest riders. My attempt to catch the third place didn’t succeed and cost me even two positions. After a few mistakes, I was riding alone on a ninth spot. The setup of the suspension was too soft so I couldn’t get the best out of the bike. The speed of the engine was great today so that’s why I could pass Martin on the finishline coming out of his slipstream. The result was okay but I was expecting more from today, especially given my great start. The next race at Le Mans, my hand will be almost 100% and I expect we can achieve even better results. ”
Source: RW Racing GP
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – European Talent Cup highlights June 19, 2018
- Iker Lecuona concludes the Catalan weekend in a strong way June 17, 2018
- Bastianini: “Next year I’ll race in Moto2” June 22, 2018
- Pirro: "I can't wait to get on the bike" June 21, 2018
- Lowes: “I could have fought for the podium” June 21, 2018
- Applications for the British Talent Cup now closed June 21, 2018
- The numbers behind the Catalan GP podium June 20, 2018
- Pedrosa and Yamaha: a match made in heaven? June 20, 2018