In a very close Moto2 qualifying session, Márquez was able to secure a place in the second row of the starting grid by claiming the sixth fastest time. The times set were very close, as the first 17 finished within the same second in the all important qualifying before tomorrow’s race.
Márquez, who was eight this morning in the 3rd Free Practice session, had a very good qualifying. He was among the fastest of the class and his sixth place could have been even better, as in his last attempt to set a time he finished with two red helmets on the time display.
But a small mistake from the Repsol rider prevented him from completing that fast lap, as first he stepped on some gravel with the tyres of his bike and in the next corner, to avoid a crash, he decided to take the escape road when he lost grip in his tyres when entering the corner.
Despite that, Márquez is having a good weekend, progression cautiously and focusing on tomorrow’s race. As he predicts, the race will be very long and it is very important to have a good start to avoid any problem when arriving to the first chicane.
Marc Márquez FP3 – 1:39.338, 20 laps, 84 km. QP – 1:38.679, 20 laps, 84 km.
“I am very satisfied, as from the moment we started yesterday to this afternoon’s qualifying we have steadily improved. We focused on the set-up for tomorrow and we found a configuration with which I feel comfortable and can keep a consistently high pace.
We will see tomorrow how the tracks conditions are, but if everything goes our way, I think we can have a good race. We will try to do our own race and then see where we can finish. It is important to have a good start, because in the chicane after the first corner there can be problems and I hope I am able to avoid them.
We will try to have a good start, be calmed during the first laps and then do our own race, which I am sure will be very long”.
Source: Repsol Media
- #USWorldSBK – Day 2: Rea roars ahead to seventh win in 2018 at Laguna Seca June 24, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – European Talent Cup highlights June 19, 2018
- Half way through the season: the reasons to watch WorldSBK June 22, 2018
- Marquez swaps engine for pedals ahead of Dutch GP June 22, 2018
- Bastianini: “Next year I’ll race in Moto2” June 22, 2018
- Pirro: "I can't wait to get on the bike" June 21, 2018
- Lowes: “I could have fought for the podium” June 21, 2018
- Applications for the British Talent Cup now closed June 21, 2018