Jorge ‘Aspar’ Martinez who’s contract with Ducati is up at the end of this season is already in talks with the Italian manufacturer to see if they can expand their MotoGP team and add a second rider to their line-up.
The Aspar Team currently runs a single rider effort with Hector Barbera but Sporting Director Gino Borsoi told MCN: “We have started to think about two bikes and we have already spoken to Ducati.
“The cost is obviously a big factor but we would like to be in MotoGP with two bikes. We’re still fighting to find the money and it is not so easy when you explain the project to our sponsors.”
Hector Barbera’s contract is up at the end of 2011 and so is Alvaro Bautista’s with Rizla Suzuki. Martinez has always had a soft heart towards Bautista who won the 2006 125cc World Championship for the Spanish manager and compaigned hard to have Bautista debut in MotoGP with his team, only to have Bautista refuse to ride a Ducati and turn to Paul Denning’s squad.
If Suzuki should completely pull out of MotoGP in 2012 (the rumors are still there) Aspar’s team could be an option for Bautista.
The Aspar squad is the biggest in the Grand Prix paddock with entries in the Moto2 and 125GP class. It plans to remain in Moto2 next season while also entering the new Moto3 class for 250cc four-stroke single-cylinder machines.
- #USWorldSBK – Day 2: Rea roars ahead to seventh win in 2018 at Laguna Seca June 24, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – European Talent Cup highlights June 19, 2018
- Half way through the season: the reasons to watch WorldSBK June 22, 2018
- Marquez swaps engine for pedals ahead of Dutch GP June 22, 2018
- Bastianini: “Next year I’ll race in Moto2” June 22, 2018
- Pirro: "I can't wait to get on the bike" June 21, 2018
- Lowes: “I could have fought for the podium” June 21, 2018
- Applications for the British Talent Cup now closed June 21, 2018