The Circuit de Catalunya provides a test of speed and technical ability to the MotoGP riders this weekend as the 2011 season gathers pace. The fifth round of the campaign is also the second on Spanish soil and the first of an intense European road trip that takes in five circuits on the old continent before heading to the Laguna Seca circuit in the USA on July 24. Six races in no more than eight weekends make this one of the toughest periods of the year for the teams and riders, who must stay fully focused in order to maintain their championship hopes through to the second half of the season. So far the opening four wins of the season have been shared out between Pedrosa, Lorenzo and Stoner.
Sixth at Jerez and ninth at Le Mans, with a race to forget in Portugal in between, Héctor Barberá’s season after four rounds is already a vast improvement on the same time last year. If 2010 was a learning year, this season Héctor is using his experience to improve every time he takes to the track and the MAPFRE Aspar rider wants to keep it that way this weekend at Montmeló, a circuit that suits his riding style and provides another opporutnity to gather experience and points.
“The Grand Prix of Catalunya is an event I always love. It is the second round of the year in Spain and signals the end of the first quarter of the campaign. The last race didn’t go at all badly considering how much we struggled during practice. Ninth place was a good result but we have to target better and I hope we can move up the order this weekend. I like Montmeló a lot, it is one of those circuits that tends to suit me, with fast and technical corners. We have to work hard from the first session to the race, give it our best and the results will come. I have got good memories of this circuit because I had one of the best races of my entire career here in 2004. I also think that if we can find a way to be fast at Montmeló it will really help us in the races to come immediately afterwards.”
Source: Aspar Media
- #USWorldSBK Day 3 – Masterful Rea does Laguna Seca double June 25, 2018
- #USWorldSBK – Day 2: Rea roars ahead to seventh win in 2018 at Laguna Seca June 24, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Advantage Bezzecchi approaching Assen's final chicane June 25, 2018
- One point in it: Oliveira and Bagnaia ready for round eight June 25, 2018
- Assen: magic and myth collide at the ‘Cathedral’ June 25, 2018
- Fernandez confirmed at Pons HP 40 for remainder of 2018 June 24, 2018
- Half way through the season: the reasons to watch WorldSBK June 22, 2018
- Marquez swaps engine for pedals ahead of Dutch GP June 22, 2018