The Circuit de Catalunya provides a test of speed and technical ability to the MotoGP riders this weekend as the 2011 season gathers pace. The fifth round of the campaign is also the second on Spanish soil and the first of an intense European road trip that takes in five circuits on the old continent before heading to the Laguna Seca circuit in the USA on July 24. Six races in no more than eight weekends make this one of the toughest periods of the year for the teams and riders, who must stay fully focused in order to maintain their championship hopes through to the second half of the season. So far the opening four wins of the season have been shared out between Pedrosa, Lorenzo and Stoner.
Sixth at Jerez and ninth at Le Mans, with a race to forget in Portugal in between, Héctor Barberá’s season after four rounds is already a vast improvement on the same time last year. If 2010 was a learning year, this season Héctor is using his experience to improve every time he takes to the track and the MAPFRE Aspar rider wants to keep it that way this weekend at Montmeló, a circuit that suits his riding style and provides another opporutnity to gather experience and points.
“The Grand Prix of Catalunya is an event I always love. It is the second round of the year in Spain and signals the end of the first quarter of the campaign. The last race didn’t go at all badly considering how much we struggled during practice. Ninth place was a good result but we have to target better and I hope we can move up the order this weekend. I like Montmeló a lot, it is one of those circuits that tends to suit me, with fast and technical corners. We have to work hard from the first session to the race, give it our best and the results will come. I have got good memories of this circuit because I had one of the best races of my entire career here in 2004. I also think that if we can find a way to be fast at Montmeló it will really help us in the races to come immediately afterwards.”
Source: Aspar Media
- WorldSBK, Thailand: Day one roundup March 23, 2018
- NOT the MotoGP News: Midnight at the oasis… Send your motorbike to bed March 23, 2018
- FIM CEV Repsol 2018 season gets underway at Estoril this weekend March 22, 2018
- A race to forget for Iker Lecuona in Losail March 19, 2018
- Marc Marquez starts 2018 with a brilliant podium in Qatar, Dani Pedrosa fights hard for 7th March 19, 2018
- Alex Márquez opens the season with podium in Qatar, Joan Mir finishes 11th March 19, 2018
- Mr. Steady is ready March 23, 2018
- FIM CEV Repsol curtain-raiser in Estoril March 23, 2018
- The FIM ratchets up support for the Handy Race at Le Mans March 22, 2018
- Arenas undergoes successful surgery March 22, 2018
- Binder on KTM: “The conditions weren’t perfect for our bike” March 21, 2018
- HJC Helmets Grand Prix de France: let the countdown begin! March 21, 2018