Finally the weather forecasts came true and the rain has become the main protagonist of the Moto2 race of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone today. A race which had a negative outcome for the HP Pons 40 Racing Team.
On the one hand, Aleix Espargaro couldn’t find a good feeling on the wet asphalt. This made him lose too much time in the first part of the race, although in the last third of it Espargaró has found something and improved his pace. He finally crossed the finish line in 18th place.
His teammate Axel Pons unfortunately could not reap the rewards for his efforts in the race today. Despite the strong discomfort with which he woke up this morning, Pons was able to grit his teeth to get on his bike. In the warm up he was able to find a good setup for the wet conditions, but unfortunately he suffered a crash in the early stages of the race.
The next race will be held Saturday, 25th June, at the legendary track in Assen.
#40. Aleix Espargaro: 18º
“I do not understand why we can’t go fast on this bike in the wet. In Barcelona and Jerez the bike was not going well at all, but today it really worked perfectly. I didn’t have any tiny scare in the entire race, it was me who could not be confident and ride fast. I do not understand. Anyway, I have improved at the end and I think that increased the confidence a bit. I have a lot of work to do on that aspect. In the last laps I improved, but it was too late.”
#80. Axel Pons: Crash
“When I woke up I could hardly move the arm. I went for the medical check and passed it as I could. Afterwards in the Clinica Mobile they’ve done an outstanding job, I got an injection in the shoulder and I almost felt no pain at all when I got on the bike. But it was a shame, because after all the effort I made and above all the whole team in setting up the bike, the race lasted just three laps. It was my mistake. The good news is that in no time we’re on the way to Assen and there we try to get back on the way we found. I’m doing good practice sessions, getting a good pace, but for one thing or other I can not do a good race. But I know sooner or later it will come.”
Source: Pons Racing
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – European Talent Cup highlights June 19, 2018
- Iker Lecuona concludes the Catalan weekend in a strong way June 17, 2018
- Bastianini: “Next year I’ll race in Moto2” June 22, 2018
- Pirro: "I can't wait to get on the bike" June 21, 2018
- Lowes: “I could have fought for the podium” June 21, 2018
- Applications for the British Talent Cup now closed June 21, 2018
- The numbers behind the Catalan GP podium June 20, 2018
- Pedrosa and Yamaha: a match made in heaven? June 20, 2018