Dunlop heads to the Netherlands and Assen for the seventh round of the 2011 Moto2 Championship which takes place on June 23-25.
Always held on the last Saturday in June, the Assen TT circuit is the only one to be on the MotoGP calendar since its beginnings in 1949.
Dunlop will bring the 753 and 717 compound front tyres allied with the 3 series construction rears in 3854 and 3868 compounds.
“You need a tyre with good stability for Assen,” explains Dunlop Motorsport’s Moto2 co-ordinator, Clinton Howe.
“Assen is conversely a tight and technical track but it is fast and flowing. The first corners were changed in recent years which have altered the feeling of the circuit so that the tyres are worked more on their right side now, as the first corners are four parts of a continuous corner.”
As with any race destination, weather conditions play their part in tyre performance.
“We do see high abrasion from the circuit surface in cool conditions, and flat surroundings of the location lend themselves to cooler conditions,” says Howe.
Though the Netherlands are renowned as being very flat, the actual angle of the track surface has an effect on tyre performance.
“There is a lot of positive camber in the corners,” explains Howe. “This assists with cornering speeds and also the flow of the track. When it’s wet it also assists with water drainage. It’s not a small amount of angle to the corners either, it seems like there’s as much camber as a NASCAR track in places!”
The Assen TT Moto2 championship starts with practice on Thursday June 23, followed by final practice and qualifying on Friday June 24 and the race itself starting at 13:15 local time on Saturday June 25.
- FIM CEV Repsol 2018 season gets underway at Estoril this weekend March 22, 2018
- A race to forget for Iker Lecuona in Losail March 19, 2018
- Marc Marquez starts 2018 with a brilliant podium in Qatar, Dani Pedrosa fights hard for 7th March 19, 2018
- Alex Márquez opens the season with podium in Qatar, Joan Mir finishes 11th March 19, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo retires from Qatar GP March 18, 2018
- Maverick Viñales 6th in Qatar GP March 18, 2018
- The FIM ratchets up support for the Handy Race at Le Mans March 22, 2018
- Arenas undergoes successful surgery March 22, 2018
- FIM CEV Repsol curtain-raiser in Estoril March 22, 2018
- Binder on KTM: “The conditions weren’t perfect for our bike” March 21, 2018
- HJC Helmets Grand Prix de France: let the countdown begin! March 21, 2018
- Martin vs Canet…vs Bastianini? March 21, 2018