Yamaha’s 50th year of Grand Prix racing was celebrated in unique style this evening with a very special gathering of MotoGP riders both past and present at the legendary Assen circuit. The event marks the launch of the YZR-M1 WGP50th Anniversary Edition livery, to be used by Yamaha Factory Racing riders Jorge Lorenzo and Ben Spies at the Assen TT and Laguna Seca races.
The MotoGP media were treated to not just the one-off red and white liveried YZR-M1s but also an Expo containing many of the iconic machines that have decorated Yamaha’s racing history. Racing machines from the 1960s through to the present day will be on public display until the end of the Assen TT week before moving on as part of a European tour. Current World Champion Jorge Lorenzo and team mate Ben Spies were joined onstage by Yamaha Tech3 riders Colin Edwards and Cal Crutchlow along with all members of both teams. Bringing the past to life with them were the first ever Yamaha World Champion Phil Read and the first non-Japanese rider to race with Yamaha, Cees Van Dongen.
Jorge Lorenzo: “It is very special to be here celebrating this event,” said Jorge Lorenzo. “I met Phil Read earlier this year and we talked about the many things that remain the same with Yamaha, and also the things that are very different! I’m very proud to ride with this livery and will try my hardest to deliver the result.”
Source: Yamaha Racing
- Iker Lecuona concludes the Catalan weekend in a strong way June 17, 2018
- A tough race for Alex Rins in Catalunya June 17, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo hammers in another superb win at the Catalan GP June 17, 2018
- Albert Arenas crashes out of Catalan GP June 17, 2018
- Arón Canet crashes out in Barcelona June 17, 2018
- Tito Rabat leaves Catalan Grand Prix without reward June 17, 2018
- Two Wheels for Life Paddock Experience day: Catalunya June 18, 2018
- Marquez: “It was time to be smart and think” June 18, 2018
- Action continues in Barcelona for one-day Official Test June 18, 2018
- Montmeló: best photos from the Catalan GP June 18, 2018
- Lorenzo hammers home his pace with sublime win June 17, 2018
- Mr consistent: Rossi continues podium streak in Barcelona June 17, 2018