The changeable weather is wreaking havoc this weekend in Assen, the crashes increase in number each session and some riders finished receiving an injury. Marc Márquez was able to stay out of trouble and this afternoon finished second at the end of the qualifying session, securing a place in the first row of the starting grid.
In the morning and under intermittent showers, that in some moments allowed to ride on dry tarmac and other on wet, he finished with the fourteenth fastest time, after completing 18 laps to the Dutch track.
In the all-important qualifying session in the afternoon, the Repsol rider was aware of the changeable weather. Marc took the track setting a fast pace from the beginning of the qualifying, after noticing the clouds that announced the forthcoming arrival of ran.
This way, a few minutes after the start of the session, Márquez took the second place of the classification. After twenty minutes and with the Repsol rider still in second, the rain practically sealed qualifying result. Bradl was on top, followed by Márquez. With this result, the Spaniard secured the first row of tomorrow’s starting grid. The rain did not allow the track to dry for the rest of the session and that prevented everyone to improve the times.
Marc Márquez FP2 – 1:40.834, 18 laps, 82 km. QP – 1:39.600, 16 laps, 73 km.
“I am very happy to have achieved the second position in the qualifying, as from this morning to this afternoon we took a great step ahead. This weekend is being very difficult due to the changeable weather conditions, because the grip changes a lot.
We are slowly getting closer to Bradl, who is very strong here because he had a test and is a step ahead of the rest. Tomorrow we will do our best with whatever conditions we have. Both in dry and wet we have margin to improve a bit more, but we have already achieved a good feeling with the bike”.
Source: Repsol Media
- #USWorldSBK – Day 2: Rea roars ahead to seventh win in 2018 at Laguna Seca June 24, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – European Talent Cup highlights June 19, 2018
- Fernandez confirmed at Pons HP 40 for remainder of 2018 June 24, 2018
- Half way through the season: the reasons to watch WorldSBK June 22, 2018
- Marquez swaps engine for pedals ahead of Dutch GP June 22, 2018
- Bastianini: “Next year I’ll race in Moto2” June 22, 2018
- Pirro: "I can't wait to get on the bike" June 21, 2018
- Lowes: “I could have fought for the podium” June 21, 2018