The relationship between the two organisations commenced in 1992, coinciding with Dorna’s acquisition of all commercial rights of the MotoGP World Championship from the FIM.
IRTA will continue to represent the interests of its members, which includes all teams and major service companies, via its representation in the Grand Prix commission and the day to day relationship with Dorna.
IRTA President, Herve Poncharal said of the signing of the new contract: “Dorna has been a fantastic partner for IRTA for the last 20 years. They have constantly sought to improve the appeal of our sport via outstanding television coverage throughout the world. They have also taken us to new circuits in different continents and we now have a truly global audience to offer to our sponsors. Most importantly, Dorna has supported us and the riders by putting safety before any other matter, to the extent that considerations of the safety of the competitors is never compromised by commercial issues.
“I believe that IRTA has made its contribution to this development by delivering to Dorna the very best teams and riders to participate in the premier World Championship. In turn, our teams have risen to the occasion by improving their professionalism and presentation so that today the MotoGP paddock sets standards for every other motorsport. It is an environment which we can be proud to invite our sponsors to visit.
“I am particularly pleased that the signing of this renewal coincides with the 25th anniversary of the formation of IRTA which took place at Assen in June 1986.”
Carmelo Ezpeleta, CEO of Dorna said: “We’re pleased to renew our collaboration with IRTA for five years from 2012 as we’ll be entering a new era of the MotoGP World Championship. We’re now building the future of the sport alongside the Teams’ Association and we are committed to ensuring a successful switch together to a new formula next year for the MotoGP class and also to emulate the success of the Moto2 class with the introduction of Moto3 as a replacement of the 125 series.
“With the support of IRTA we’ll also be looking at expanding the horizons of the sport so our close relationship will be instrumental in tackling new challenges in the five next years. We’ve been doing a great job together over the past 20 years and we’re looking forward to continuing a strong relationship.”
- #USWorldSBK – Day 2: Rea roars ahead to seventh win in 2018 at Laguna Seca June 24, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – European Talent Cup highlights June 19, 2018
- Half way through the season: the reasons to watch WorldSBK June 22, 2018
- Marquez swaps engine for pedals ahead of Dutch GP June 22, 2018
- Bastianini: “Next year I’ll race in Moto2” June 22, 2018
- Pirro: "I can't wait to get on the bike" June 21, 2018
- Lowes: “I could have fought for the podium” June 21, 2018
- Applications for the British Talent Cup now closed June 21, 2018