The return to competition after the short summer holidays saw the best version of the Repsol Honda Team riders, who were among the top five during the whole day, with Dani Pedrosa firmly on the lead of the times sheet.
From the first moments of this first practice day at the Czech Republic, the three riders of the Repsol Honda Team were among the top five fastest riders on this track. Pedrosa, showing a huge physical improvement from the previous rounds, was immediately competitive, being the first rider to set a time under 1 minute and 57 seconds. In the first session he finished only two tenths away from the track record, almost one second ahead of the second, Casey Stoner.
The Australian was the only rider able to get close to his team mate in the second free practice session, where he also got under the 1 minute 57 seconds mark. Pedrosa showed his good relationship with one of his favourite tracks, keeping a consistent pace at 1 minute and 56 seconds, a time he was able to set seven times.
Dani Pedrosa FP1 – 1:56.328, 17 laps, 92 km. FP2 – 1:56.454, 17 laps, 92 km.
“The feeling was very good today from the beginning. The bike was working well from the first round and we could move ahead, improving little by little in both practice sessions. I think the main difference I felt is that I’m fresh after the summer break, the rest I had has helped me a lot.
I can feel the energy I didn’t have in the races before the break, so I hope I can keep the pace for Saturday and Sunday and be strong for the race. I’m very happy with the job we did in both sessions and I think we can still improve and be ready for both the qualifying practice and the race.
I guess the other rivals will also do the same, so we have to keep focused. Today I rode alone all the time, maybe tomorrow I can compare a little with other riders to see where are they stronger or weaker than me”.
Source: Repsol Media
- Qatar GP, Losail – Qualifying roundup: MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 March 17, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo on row 3 for Qatar GP March 17, 2018
- Iker Lecuona on fifth row at Losail March 17, 2018
- Jorge Martin misses Qatari pole by the slimmest of gaps March 17, 2018
- Tough start for Pol Espargaro in Qatar March 17, 2018
- Tito Rabat ready for the first race of the season in Qatar March 17, 2018
- Marquez vs Dovi: Sunday set up for a showdown March 17, 2018
- Zarco: From gravel trap to pole position at #QatarGP March 17, 2018
- Desert duel: Noguchi vs Aji lights up Losail March 17, 2018
- New TV graphics for 2018: keep track like never before March 17, 2018
- The battle to beat Zarco in Sunday’s sensational #QatarGP March 17, 2018
- Miller tops Q1 by narrow margin under the floodlights March 17, 2018