The rain did not want to make an exception for the Grand Prix of the Czech Republic and has been present at the Brno circuit, making the first morning practice as wet session. For the qualifying session the sun had dried the track and it was possible to push for good laptimes, but the team’s work planned for today had to be modified and affected the results.
In the qualifying Alberto Moncayo used much of the session to do a little race simulation and analyze the behavior of the tyres. The rider from Cadiz has kept a strong pace, doing a good number of laps at the highest level and although at the end of the session he was passed by some riders Alberto and the team know that he is a step ahead of his eighth place on the grid.
Miguel, who yesterday made a strong showing in free practice, didn’t find the way today to continue his upward trend and has been relegated to 17th on the grid, although he hopes to make a good start tomorrow and do a great race.
Alberto Moncayo, 8° (2’09.421)
“In the morning session we had a little problem – I completely lost the grip and was sliding on the track and had to return – and I also had a minor crash that practically “stole” almost all my time in the training. I still had a positive feeling on the wet track, so if the race is wet I could do well.
In the afternoon we managed to do a good practice in which I have been among the top three for most of the session and although we could not improve the laptime enough to maintain the grid position, I know that some riders have passed me with one good lap, but the pace that we have is stronger than theirs.
The feeling that the bike gives me has been very good and the laptimes I posted I did on my own, so I think that if I can get a good start then I can fight without problems to be in the top five tomorrow.”
MIGUEL OLIVEIRA, 17° (2’10.483)
“Today things didn’t end too well. In the morning, in the wet, I felt very comfortable with the bike but in the qualifying session, where I intended to continue the work of yesterday, things have not gone as expected. I have not felt comfortable on the bike, I had to fight very hard to get the laptimes and it didn’t go well for me. Tomorrow I hope to make a good start and fight for a strong position.”
Source: Team Machado
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – European Talent Cup highlights June 19, 2018
- Iker Lecuona concludes the Catalan weekend in a strong way June 17, 2018
- Bastianini: “Next year I’ll race in Moto2” June 22, 2018
- Pirro: "I can't wait to get on the bike" June 21, 2018
- Lowes: “I could have fought for the podium” June 21, 2018
- Applications for the British Talent Cup now closed June 21, 2018
- The numbers behind the Catalan GP podium June 20, 2018
- Pedrosa and Yamaha: a match made in heaven? June 20, 2018