Less than a month since their last visit to the USA at Laguna Seca the MotoGP teams and riders return ‘Stateside’ this week for a visit to the legendary Indianapolis Motor Speedway, venue of the twelfth round of the 2011 season. The tough Indy layout combines sections of the world-famous oval with a series of infield corners designed specifically for motorcycle racing. The Indianapolis Grand Prix is followed just a week later by the San Marino round – the fourth back-to-back sequence of an exhausting season so far – offering race fans a mouthwatering bonanza of action as Jorge Lorenzo picks up his quest to hunt down series leader Casey Stoner, currently 32 points clear at the top of the standings.
MAPFRE Aspar rider Héctor Barberá lies eleventh in the championship but has been in improving form over the last four races. The Spaniard left the last round at Brno with tenth place despite some setbacks in the race, demonstrating his increasing pace and evolution of his Ducati, which has gathered pace since the Italian round in June. Ninth place at Laguna Seca after a fantastic weekend in practice is a good minimum target for the youngster to aim for on his second visit to the USA this season.
“The week off has been great for me to disconnect and spend time with my people but also continuing to train hard. The second part of the season usually tends to be the hardest part and I want to be in top physical shape so that I can keep giving one hundred per cent until the end of the season. I am feeling very motivated about the upcoming Grand Prix – things have been working out well for us lately, we are working hard and it is bearing fruit. We had a little setback in the race at Brno but fought back well and I am sure that if we keep going like this we will keep progressing and a ninth place result, which until recently was seen a good result, will seem like something normal. We have to be ambitious and believe that we can be fighting for a better position in each race. The first visit of the year to the USA was a positive one so I hope the second one is at least as good.”
Source: Aspar Media
- WorldSBK, Thailand: Day one roundup March 23, 2018
- NOT the MotoGP News: Midnight at the oasis… Send your motorbike to bed March 23, 2018
- FIM CEV Repsol 2018 season gets underway at Estoril this weekend March 22, 2018
- A race to forget for Iker Lecuona in Losail March 19, 2018
- Marc Marquez starts 2018 with a brilliant podium in Qatar, Dani Pedrosa fights hard for 7th March 19, 2018
- Alex Márquez opens the season with podium in Qatar, Joan Mir finishes 11th March 19, 2018
- It’s race time! Sleek MotoGP Designs for your mobile device March 23, 2018
- Back to Buriram as the Asia Talent Cup race back-to-back March 23, 2018
- Mr. Steady is ready March 23, 2018
- FIM CEV Repsol curtain-raiser in Estoril March 23, 2018
- The FIM ratchets up support for the Handy Race at Le Mans March 22, 2018
- Arenas undergoes successful surgery March 22, 2018