Indianapolis, the setting of the first victory of Pol Espargaro in the 125cc world championship, has now also been the stage for his first podium in Moto2 after reaching second place in an epic race where he did six spectacular passes. The HP Tuenti rider who started from seventh was second with eight laps to go and he has not given up this position until crossing the ‘yard of bricks’ that marks the finish line at the U.S. circuit.
2. Pol Espargaro: “I am very happy and at the end of the race I was very emotional, because this season in Moto2 has been very hard, much more than expected and I’m not used to being so far from the front. This result shows that with hard work and perseverance you can achieve any goal. I finished almost completely powerless, the left foot was stiff and had almost no force to change gears, but I gritted my teeth to hold off Rabat and because I saw Marquez closer all the time.
I made a good start without losing positions and then I found my pace and started to push. It’s taken me a few laps to reach the leading group, but when I got there I was a bit faster and slowly I went on to get second. Marc was gone, but I have not given up and I came within less than two seconds of him. From now on I follow this line and think about further reducing the gap to the first. I hope this is the beginning of a good run and finally being competitive in a very complicated category where you can not ever relax.
I want to thank the team for the work they’ve done in recent months to give me a competitive bike and the sponsors for their patience, and of course my girlfriend, my parents and siblings for always being by my side. When things go wrong you realize who really loves you and wants the best for you.”
Source: HP Tuenti Racing
- #USWorldSBK Day 3 – Masterful Rea does Laguna Seca double June 25, 2018
- #USWorldSBK – Day 2: Rea roars ahead to seventh win in 2018 at Laguna Seca June 24, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Advantage Bezzecchi approaching Assen's final chicane June 25, 2018
- One point in it: Oliveira and Bagnaia ready for round eight June 25, 2018
- Assen: magic and myth collide at the ‘Cathedral’ June 25, 2018
- Fernandez confirmed at Pons HP 40 for remainder of 2018 June 24, 2018
- Half way through the season: the reasons to watch WorldSBK June 22, 2018
- Marquez swaps engine for pedals ahead of Dutch GP June 22, 2018