After qualifying for the GP of San Marino Luis Salom found a happy team in the pitbox of RW Racing GP, congratulating him with the eighth starting position. But the rider himself was not happy with it. “Until shortly before the end of the qualifying session I was in fifth. And if I would have been able to get a slipstream, I could have been on the front row”, muttered the Spaniard.
From the point of view of a sportsman Saloms discontent was understandable: an athlete always wants more and better. “But putting in such lap times with a broken hand, is just very good”, chief engineer Hans Spaan commented. “If you know that the numbers 5 through 9 are within one tenth, Luis has no need to complain. The differences are minimal. It is questionable whether a slipstream would have helped him that much”.
And then again: nothing is lost. Given the circumstances – Salom rides with a swollen right hand as a result of the operation to repair the fractures caused by a crash in Brno – a top 10 position is special enough. “Before we had the idea we should be happy if Luis would be capable of riding within the top 15. And now his lap time of 1.44.275 is even faster than what he did last year, without injuries. Luis is usually a good starter, so a third row start gives a lot of perspective for the race”.
Source: RW Racing GP
- A race to forget for Iker Lecuona in Losail March 19, 2018
- Marc Marquez starts 2018 with a brilliant podium in Qatar, Dani Pedrosa fights hard for 7th March 19, 2018
- Alex Márquez opens the season with podium in Qatar, Joan Mir finishes 11th March 19, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo retires from Qatar GP March 18, 2018
- Maverick Viñales 6th in Qatar GP March 18, 2018
- Pol Espargaro out of Qatar GP due to electronic ‘gremlin’ March 18, 2018
- Lorenzo left without brakes in Qatar March 19, 2018
- #QatarGP: another incredible record-breaker March 19, 2018
- Rossi on being 'hunted by the wolves' in Qatar! March 18, 2018
- Dovi 3 – Marquez 0 March 18, 2018
- Bagnaia storms to debut win in final lap Moto2™ thriller March 18, 2018
- Dynamite Dovizioso takes first honours of 2018 in #QatarGP March 18, 2018