Starting from center grid, he went on the outside, and made up a few places just to be hit in the rear by a rider, and sent straight into the gravel trap. There he crashed, put up the bike again and went back on track but, so far away from the last one, and with a bike that showed a few problems, he decided it was wiser to return to garage.
Julian Simon (DNF): “At the start, I tried to push to overtake. I went on the outside, but at the first corner someone hit me. A difficult moment of a difficult week-end: we were not too far, but it was not to be our time”.
Pierluigi Aldrovandi (Simon race engineer): “A difficult day, since the morning, when Julian entered the warm-up too much dead set on it, and crashed. As for the race, our plan was to be part of a fast group, but Julian has been hit from behind, fall down, at that was the end: 40 seconds behind the last one, and with the bike in bad condition, go back to garage was the best he could do”.
Source: AGP Team
- Photo gallery: 2020 MotoGP™ Qatar Test
- Marc Marquez: "I’m struggling more here"
- Zarco "riding better every time" on board the Ducati
- P1 for Quartararo as Yamaha, Suzuki continue to look strong
- 16:30 in Qatar: Petrucci tops the Day 2 timesheets
- Aprilia confirm Lorenzo Savadori as MotoGP™ test rider
- Battle ready: Suzuki secure 1-2 on opening day in Qatar
- Midday: Dovizioso currently P1 as Qatar Test begins