Alvaro Bautista finally had chance to ride at Motegi this afternoon after the whole of free practice yesterday and this morning was cancelled due to bad weather. In a single qualifying session of 75 minutes the Spanish rider was able to get a good feeling for the track in wet conditions but unfortunately as the track dried he suffered a crash at the most inopportune time, missing out on a second row start as a result.
Alvaro Bautista (7th 1’55”135) “I had a really good feeling for the bike during the session this afternoon, so it was a shame about the crash, because for sure it has cost me a better starting position. We were on a good lap when I ran a little bit off line in one corner and onto a particularly damp patch. Anyway, these things happen and I am still confident that in dry conditions tomorrow we can have a good race.”
Fausto Gresini “Alvaro’s crash was a real shame because he was on a great lap and maybe even the front row was within reach today. He was fast throughout the session and a better grid position would have been important for tomorrow. Anyway, he feels confident on the bike and confident in his potential so that’s what is important now.”
Source: Gresini Racing
- Photo gallery: 2020 MotoGP™ Qatar Test
- Marc Marquez: "I’m struggling more here"
- Zarco "riding better every time" on board the Ducati
- P1 for Quartararo as Yamaha, Suzuki continue to look strong
- 16:30 in Qatar: Petrucci tops the Day 2 timesheets
- Aprilia confirm Lorenzo Savadori as MotoGP™ test rider
- Battle ready: Suzuki secure 1-2 on opening day in Qatar
- Midday: Dovizioso currently P1 as Qatar Test begins