Defending world champion Jorge Lorenzo delivered an incredible performance today to take victory in the Grand Prix of Japan, claiming the Motegi circuit for Yamaha. A dramatic weekend dominated by complicated weather conditions meant the only dry set up time for today’s race was this morning in the final warm up session.
Lorenzo rose to the occasion, firing off the start line like a bullet in front of Yamaha’s home crowd to lead the race into the first laps. The Mallorcan was able to build a gap of nearly two seconds in the first three laps then saw it cut as championship rival Marc Marquez closed in. Marquez and Dani Pedrosa were able to get onto the heels of Lorenzo but unable to pass. The defending champion held on to the line to score his 51st Grand Prix victory, crossing the line just over three seconds clear of Marquez.
The stunning victory by Lorenzo brings him five points closer to Marquez. 13 points separate them now as they head to the final round in Valencia. Rossi increases his point score to 224 and remains in fourth place in the standings.
Jorge Lorenzo 1st / 42’34.291 / 24 laps “We chose the soft tyre and the others chose the hard tyre, we knew that at the end of the race we might have problems but finally I could push even more the lap times. The strategy could have been different but to take this win at the home of Honda makes me very happy.”
Source: Yamaha Racing
- Photo gallery: 2020 MotoGP™ Qatar Test
- Marc Marquez: "I’m struggling more here"
- Zarco "riding better every time" on board the Ducati
- P1 for Quartararo as Yamaha, Suzuki continue to look strong
- 16:30 in Qatar: Petrucci tops the Day 2 timesheets
- Aprilia confirm Lorenzo Savadori as MotoGP™ test rider
- Battle ready: Suzuki secure 1-2 on opening day in Qatar
- Midday: Dovizioso currently P1 as Qatar Test begins