Luis Salom suffered misfortune in the final race of the Moto3 World Championship in Valencia today. The Spanish rider crashed on lap 15 of the race, leaving him out of the battle for the title. Salom got back on track to cross the line in fourteenth place, just behind teammate Zulfahmi Khairuddin. Arthur Sissis was eighteenth.
An excellent start from the Spanish rider put him in the lead on the opening corner. With 24 laps ahead, a frenetic finish was predicted. Salom exchanged the lead with Maverick Viñales, up until Turn 5 of lap 15 –when he lost front end grip and went to ground. The Red Bull KTM Ajo rider picked his bike back up to finish the race, but only pride was at stake by that point. He came in fourteenth ahead of his home fans.
The 2013 season ends with Luis Salom third overall, with 302 points. He was the rider with the most victories –7– in the class this year. Zulfahmi Khairuddin concludes the year twelfth, with 68 points. Arthur Sissis takes fifteenth with 59 points.
Luis Salom “It’s been a really nice season –very special. I want to thank all of my team for what has been the best year of my life. I’ve learnt a lot in this team. I also want to thank Maverick [Viñales] and Alex [Rins], because I have grown enormously as a rider. They deserved the title just as much as I did. I am happy to have won the most races this season –it’s a big thing for me. This year has been great and I want to thank everyone for their support and for being by my side. I can’t say much more, because this has been a hard end to the season.”
Source: Ajo Motorsport
- Take heart Fabio, at least it’s not another four years
- Crutchlow: "It was really difficult to manage"
- Australia joins the 2020 Idemitsu Asia Talent Cup calendar
- "We had more" – Miller's podium charge halted by grip issues
- Pedrosa, Smith and Pirro set for private tests
- Best photos: Motul Grand Prix of Japan
- Quartararo: your 2019 Rookie of the Year
- Two down, one to go: Honda claim 2019 Constructor crown