It was a great race by Isaac Viñales, which he finished in fifth place after a battle for victory that was fit to give any spectator a heart attack. The Team Calvo rider made an exceptional start from fourth on the grid and led the race.
After a small error he fell back but was able to catch up again with the leading group to get involved in the battle for the race win.
Marcos Ramirez made a positive debut in the World Championship. He wasn’t entirely satisfied with his final position, but he gained valuable experience that he can translate to riding for Team Calvo in the Spanish Championship.
#32 Isaac Viñales – 5th place / @ISAAC_VINYALES
“This was a great race. We had a very good pace and in the 16th lap I was doing times in the low 47s, something that I hadn’t been expecting at all. Also, I was leading a World Championship race for the first time, and to be honest, this was a nice experience. I was at the limit for the whole race and I made a little mistake, but it wasn’t too bad and I could catch up again. I don’t like this circuit very much and yet I was consistently fast, so I have to congratulate the team for the fantastic work they did with the bike.”
#24 Marcos Ramirez – 21st place / @24Marcosramirez
“I made what I believe to be the best start of my life. I went up to 15th place, but already on the first lap I could tell that the rear tyre was no good. Every time I went on the gas the bike started moving a lot and I started to lose positions because I could not defend myself. In the end I finished in the same position that I started from, but I did cross the finish line which was my main goal for my first World Championship race. I’d like to thank Calvo and the whole team for this opportunity and I hope to be doing it again sometime this year.”
Source: Team Calvo
- Moto2™: Victory the next step for man of the moment Navarro?
- “If you’re not crashing, you’re not going fast enough”
- Edwards: “The few years I had with Valentino were awesome”
- Moto2™/Moto3™ Barcelona test photo gallery
- De Puniet looking forward to a “great fight” in MotoE™
- Round 2: the British Talent Cup touches down in Donington
- Moto2™ and Moto3™ finish first day of testing in Barcelona
- “Our priority is Pecco and Miller, but Miller doesn't agree”