Julian Simon finished his first Grand Prix for QMMF Racing Team on a high note and rode to 13th place at the season-opening race at Qatar.
On the spectacular, flood-lit Losail circuit, he had a good start, but got held up when another rider crashed in the second turn. Down in 23rd place after one lap, the 27-year-old Spaniard clawed his way back into the point rankings as the race went on.
Simon could have scored a better result without the first-lap-incident but was happy nevertheless with the performance and the feeling for his Speed Up prototype.
Julian Simon – 13th place
“I am happy because I improved in every practice session, almost on every lap and the bike is much better now. This race was a little bit like another test for me since we missed out so much due to bad weather in the pre-season. I now know much more about the bike and I have a much better feeling, which transformed into a good race pace. At the start, another rider almost took me out in turn two and I lost many positions. But then I found back to my rhythm, passed many riders and finally got a few valuable points!”
- Photo gallery: 2020 MotoGP™ Qatar Test
- Marc Marquez: "I’m struggling more here"
- Zarco "riding better every time" on board the Ducati
- P1 for Quartararo as Yamaha, Suzuki continue to look strong
- 16:30 in Qatar: Petrucci tops the Day 2 timesheets
- Aprilia confirm Lorenzo Savadori as MotoGP™ test rider
- Battle ready: Suzuki secure 1-2 on opening day in Qatar
- Midday: Dovizioso currently P1 as Qatar Test begins