Championship leader Jorge Lorenzo made a strong start to this weekend‘s British Grand Prix in today‘s free practice sessions at Silverstone. He wrapped up day one as the fastest rider overall, 0.033 seconds clear of his closest rival. Valentino Rossi also needed little time to adjust in the morning, but faced a lack of rear grip in the afternoon. His fastest time of the day took him up to tenth in the combined practice times, 0,989 seconds off his teammate.
True to his usual form, Lorenzo‘s name could be found at the top of the standings early on in the first 45 minutes free practice session with a 2‘04.817 lap. He put in some great effort in the British sunshine to improve his time by more than a second throughout the morning practice, taking second place with a best lap of 2‘03.499s.
The afternoon saw more of the same from the Majorcan. He was quick to top the timesheets, dropping the first 2‘02 lap of the weekend on his first lap. His fastest time of 2‘02.338 followed soon after and remained unchallenged for the remainder of the session, allowing him to take the lead in the combined practice times.
The feeling has been good from the beginning. I didn‘t expect to improve so much in the afternoon session on my first run, but my lap time was suddenly a second quicker and was fast enough for me to stay in first position. We still need to improve our pace a little bit, because the track is very cold and this made the tyre go down a little bit after every run. We need to work on the bike to make it easier on tyre-life to be able to keep up a higher pace. The car racing at Silverstone is making the asphalt very bumpy, especially on braking, and I think it‘s a bit slower compared to last year, but the bikes seem to be faster, making the lap times similar.
Source; Yamaha Racing
- #USWorldSBK Day 3 – Masterful Rea does Laguna Seca double June 25, 2018
- #USWorldSBK – Day 2: Rea roars ahead to seventh win in 2018 at Laguna Seca June 24, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Advantage Bezzecchi approaching Assen's final chicane June 25, 2018
- One point in it: Oliveira and Bagnaia ready for round eight June 25, 2018
- Assen: magic and myth collide at the ‘Cathedral’ June 25, 2018
- Fernandez confirmed at Pons HP 40 for remainder of 2018 June 24, 2018
- Half way through the season: the reasons to watch WorldSBK June 22, 2018
- Marquez swaps engine for pedals ahead of Dutch GP June 22, 2018