Jorge Lorenzo continued his impressive pace from the third free practice in the afternoon and rode his Yamaha YZR-M1 to a second place starting position for tomorrow‘s British Grand Prix. Teammate Valentino Rossi also made a step today and will start the race at Silverstone from the second row, having qualified fourth on the grid.
Lorenzo was the last rider to come out of the box at the start of the overcast 15-minute session and needed little time to put the hammer down. His first hot lap was a 2‘00.798 for provisional second place. He followed that up with a second flying lap, but was unable to improve his time and with five and half minutes left Lorenzo returned to the pits for a fresh rear tyre.
The Spaniard was pushed back to third and cunningly waited for all other riders to exit the pit lane before heading out for his second attempt to improve his starting position. With three and half minutes still on the clock, he had just enough time left for a final try and dropped a hot time of 2‘00.522 to reclaim second position, 0,288s off the front.
“To be honest, I didn‘t expect to improve so much and that everyone would be so quick in qualifying, but it‘s normal for everyone to improve their times by one second out of nowhere. If you don‘t get the perfect lap or don‘t push to your limits, it‘s very difficult to stay on the first row. For this reason I‘m very happy with second place, this is a very good position, I‘m very happy. I‘m very proud of my two laps. Let‘s see which small details we can improve for tomorrow to keep a consistent pace.”
Source: Movistar Yamaha
- Iker Lecuona concludes the Catalan weekend in a strong way June 17, 2018
- A tough race for Alex Rins in Catalunya June 17, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo hammers in another superb win at the Catalan GP June 17, 2018
- Albert Arenas crashes out of Catalan GP June 17, 2018
- Arón Canet crashes out in Barcelona June 17, 2018
- Tito Rabat leaves Catalan Grand Prix without reward June 17, 2018
- Two Wheels for Life Paddock Experience day: Catalunya June 18, 2018
- Marquez: “It was time to be smart and think” June 18, 2018
- Action continues in Barcelona for one-day Official Test June 18, 2018
- Montmeló: best photos from the Catalan GP June 18, 2018
- Lorenzo hammers home his pace with sublime win June 17, 2018
- Mr consistent: Rossi continues podium streak in Barcelona June 17, 2018