After leading some of the practice sessions before the race that happened on Sunday in the British track of Silverstone, Alex Rins started from the second place of the starting grid with clear chances of scoring his second win of the season.
Sunday morning, following the weather forecast, the circuit awoke wet, allowing the riders to practice in rainy conditions during the last session, the warm up. Sito Pons’ pupil finished the warm up with the fastest lap time, that added to his three consucutive podiums, set the perfect atmosphere for Rins to continue these great results during the race.
At the start, after the first lap, the Páginas Amarillas HP 40 rider, decided to position himself ahead of the race, crossing the finish line in first place at the end of the second lap.
Rins lead the GP during five laps until the French rider Johann Zarco overtook him. Rins stayed behind his rear wheel, but in the next lap Rabat took his place. Tito tried to push hard and catch Zarco, so Rins chose to stay behind compatriot and not bother him in the chase, but Zarco opened a bigger gap.
When there were six laps left, Rins attacked and took Rabat’s place, to then increase the rhythm and move away from Rabat, Márquez and Folger, who formed the group that would fight for the third place.
After a few consecutive fast laps, Rins was able to open a gap between him and the following group, finishing in second place and adding the fourth one to his successive podiums, the seventh in the whole season.
2nd ALEX RINS
“The race was very fun, when our tyres were destroyed it was time to see who was able to stay on the bike. When I had to push hard, I did it, and I opened a gap with the current World Champion, and I’m happy for that and because I keep adquiring experience. At the beginning, when Zarco started to push I wasn’t expecting it and it caught us off-guard, but I’m happy with our job”.
17th LUIS SALOM
“To be honest, I was expectin to do a good race here, both in wet and dry conditions, but at the beginning of the race when I overtook Kallio, I touched another rider and lost a lot of places. After that, I started recovering and I reached the fifteenth place, after overtaking Pons and Syahrin, but then I had a big wobble and lost contact with them. From then on, I tried to maintain my pace and catch them, but I was unable to close the gap. At the end I was recovering time, but it wasn’t enough. The race was far from what I foresaw, because I was expecting a lot more. I hope to do a good race in Misano, and we’ll see if we can take a step forward to finish the season as postively as possible”.
Source: Pons Racing
- #USWorldSBK – Day 2: Rea roars ahead to seventh win in 2018 at Laguna Seca June 24, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto2 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 2 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – Moto3 race 1 highlights June 19, 2018
- Video: FIM CEV Repsol, Catalunya Round – European Talent Cup highlights June 19, 2018
- Fernandez confirmed at Pons HP 40 for remainder of 2018 June 24, 2018
- Half way through the season: the reasons to watch WorldSBK June 22, 2018
- Marquez swaps engine for pedals ahead of Dutch GP June 22, 2018
- Bastianini: “Next year I’ll race in Moto2” June 22, 2018
- Pirro: "I can't wait to get on the bike" June 21, 2018
- Lowes: “I could have fought for the podium” June 21, 2018