Movistar Yamaha MotoGP‘s Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi shaped up for an intense battle at the Twin Ring Motegi track today, in preparation for Sunday‘s Grand Prix of Japan. The teammates took first and seventh place respectively in the combined free practice times.
Lorenzo was quick to find a solid pace around the Japanese track during the sunny morning practice. He rode his YZR-M1 to second early on in FP1 and spent the majority of the session working on a good dry set-up before posting a best lap of 1’46.181s for third place on his third stint, 0.395s from the front.
The afternoon saw more of the same smooth riding from the Mallorcan. He set the provisional fastest time of 1‘46.111s early on in the second 45-minute session. He continued his form as the pace quickened and was the fourth rider dropping into the 1‘45s with a 1‘45.911s for provisional third place, which he further improved at the very end of the session, dropping a 1.45.151s to wrap up the day at the top of the time sheets with a 0.053s margin to his closest rival.
Similar to last year, Yamaha’s usual rider line-up is joined by Katsuyuki Nakasuga, four-time consecutive premier JSB1000 class (All Japan Road Race Championship) winner, who also won the Suzuka 8-Hour race two years in a row in 2015 and 2016. He finished his first day as a wildcard for the Yamalube Yamaha Factory Racing Team, riding his YZR-M1 to 17th place in the combined free practice times, with a 1’47.135s best lap.
It‘s been quite a positive day. This afternoon the conditions dropped a lot in terms of the temperature and that‘s why some riders crashed, because it was quite tricky and you need to be very careful with the temperature of the tyre. We were able to improve a lot on the last set of tyres and improved the bike a little bit also in the corners. The bike is working quite well and I‘m in good shape, so I‘m very motivated to make it a good race.
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018