The 2016 season of the MotoGP world championship has been closed this Sunday at the Circuito de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo. The Spanish track was the scene of the eighteenth round of the campaign and Alex Rins took fifth place after a battle against the Italian Franco Morbidelli.
With the four strongest riders of the weekend (Zarco, Luthi, Morbidelli and Rins) riding in the leading group, there were many overtakes. With four laps to go, Zarco has distanced itself from Morbidelli, who was second. Lüthi was third and Rins fourth. It seemed that Rins was getting prepared to overtake Lüthi, but the rear tire performance fell away, so he had to slow down and he was overtaken by Lowes, who was more than a second away at the beginning.
With this fifth place Rins secured the third place in the standings.
His teammate in the Páginas Amarillas HP40, Édgar Pons, had a hard race in which he was greatly penalized by a poor start. His pace was good to fight for the points but had a bad start and fall to the twenty-sixth place in the first lap. Little by little, Pons recovered positions to finish nineteenth.
5th Álex Rins
“I had a good start and I was in the group of four that looked like was going to fight for the victory, but as the laps were passing I had more traction problems and I could not do much more. In the last three laps the rear tire has gone down a lot and I could not avoid Lowes from overtaking me. Finally we got the third place to say goodbye to the class. I want to thank the team for these two fantastic seasons”
19th Édgar Pons
“In this last race we have been penalized by a bad start, leaving us behind and having to come back. Although we had very good pace we did not get the result we wanted, as a result of the first laps. I would like to thank the whole team and all the people who have been by our side; Has been a very complicated year where I have suffered a lot, both on and off the track. But I’m sure this will make me stronger for the next season. I’m already thinking about preparing 2017. I want to polish every detail for my goal”
Source: Pons Racing
- Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas, race weekend preview: MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 April 16, 2018
- Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas, Michelin Preview April 16, 2018
- WorldSBK Aragon, Sunday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 15, 2018
- WorldSBK Aragon, Saturday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 14, 2018
- WorldSBK Argentinian round confirmed for October April 14, 2018
- WorldSBK Aragon: Friday roundup – World Superbike, World Supersport April 13, 2018
- Rossi: “The only thing to do is look forward” April 19, 2018
- Competition at COTA: Thursday’s Press Conference round-up April 19, 2018
- Pedrosa declared fit April 19, 2018
- Marquez: "I learn from my mistakes" April 19, 2018
- Getting race ready: the physical side of MotoGP™ April 19, 2018
- MotoGP™’s partnership with Parts Europe extended for 2 years April 19, 2018