Motorsport fans voted on their feet with over 2.6 million attending the magnificent record breaking 2016 MotoGP season. Despite plenty of wet summer weekends, the average crowd attending each grand prix was just under 150,000.
Other impressive statistics emphasised how the season was enjoyed, with some staggering social media and television figures.
Motogp.com received 85 million visits with 235 million pages being visited. MotoGP on twitter attracted 1.97 million followers. There were 11.7 million Facebook Likes, 3.6 million followers on Instagram and 1.07 million YouTube subscribers.
Total broadcasting hours was over 23,000 with 369 million homes in 207 countries reached by continental networks while on the ground over 9000 journalists from 62 countries attended the grands prix.
While other motorsports turned their backs on long standing European venues MotoGP continued to receive massive support in France and Germany while in the Far East a record breaking crowd attended the Shell Malaysian Grand Prix. The biggest weekend crowd of the season was at the Red Bull Ring in Austria when over 215,000 fans packed the sold out circuit on its return to MotoGP.
Both the final round in Valencia and the GoPro German Grand Prix at the Sachsenring attracted crowds of over 200,000. Both Italian venues at Mugello and Misano attracted race day crowds of over 100,000 as did the Dutch TT in Assen and Valencia. The Octo British Grand Prix continued to grow in popularity with a weekend crowd of over 155,000 at Silverstone.
These figures clearly illustrate just what an amazing 2016 MotoGP season we have witnessed both on and off the track… and bode well for 2017!
Source: Nick Harris Media Communications
- FIM CEV Repsol back in action for Round 2 at Valencia April 25, 2018
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Is Bagnaia the man to beat in Moto2™? April 25, 2018
- Wayne Rainey: a true warrior April 25, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018