The rain gave a respite to the Moto3 riders on Sunday, after disrupting the schedule and causing the qualifiying session to be cancelled the previous night.
The Qatar GP got underway without a hitch, and was ridden in a group. Joan Mir would take the victory in the first race of the season, with John McPhee and poleman Jorge Martin alongside him on the podium.
Aron Canet, Romano Fenati, and Andrea Migno were also close behind at the chequered flag. The next round for the Moto3 riders arrives in a fortnight’s time at the Circuito de Termas de Rio Hondo (Argentina).
The Mahindra Motard Aspar riders were out of luck in Losail. Albert Arenas crashed out just after completing the fourth lap of the race.The Spaniard, who was unhurt in the incident, had a good setup and was running a strong pace almost a second better than on Friday, as well as fighting for points at the time of the crash.
Albert Arenas (DNF):
“Despite the crash in the race, I’m physically fine. It was a slip on the inside of the corner, which was dirty. The tyre slid and I wasn’t able to avoid falling. We had caught the group fighting for the points and we were setting a pace almost a second faster than on Friday. The bike was going very well and we had found a perfect setup, but we lost any chance of a good result with the crash. I feel bad that we couldn’t finish because we had a good bike, but we were also starting from far back on the grid because of the absence of a qualifying session -which made everything difficult.”
Source: Aspar Media
- FIM CEV Repsol back in action for Round 2 at Valencia April 25, 2018
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Is Bagnaia the man to beat in Moto2™? April 25, 2018
- Wayne Rainey: a true warrior April 25, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018