At 18 o’clock local time the starting lights went out at the Losail International Circuit, scene of the first race of the 2017 season for young protagonists of Moto3. The grid was decided by the times of the combined free practice on Friday, because the repeated precipitation that yesterday rendered the circuit unusable, preventing the proper running of qualifications.
Joan Mir earned two positions at the start, and passed Antonelli and Oettl in rapid succession, to complete the first lap second position. Even Loi earned two places off the start, holding behind Di Giannantonio and Bulega, entering the points positions by force.
Mir followed like a shadow his compatriot Martin throughout the second lap, just before the line he took control of the race.
Migno then tried to take advantage at the head of the field, but Mir responded after a few meters. The same fate for Martin and Oettl starting to push: their leadership lasting just one lap, because on the fifth round Mir will resume command. Then the turn of McPhee to give a hard time to the Majorcan, but he also responded to the Scot without delay, blow for blow.
On the last lap there were 5, with the arrival of Canet and Fenati, in the fight for the victory, then the talent of Joan Mir gained the upper hand over his rivals, managing the lead and closing all the doors. The Spaniard seemed to dance on his Honda, developed to perfection, crossing the finish line in first.
Joan Mir, the rookie of the year in 2016, thus began the season in the best way, with a win (his second in career) in the opening round of the Championship.
#36 Joan MIR – 1st:
“It was the best race of my life! I always kept everything under control. The bike today was perfect, both in a straight line in the fast corners, despite the lack of grip on the track. Now I’m comfortable on the Honda, we have worked so hard all winter. I tried to run away, but in this category and at this circuit it is very difficult. All in all, it was a tough race, but fun despite the many overtaking. I want to continue like this in all the other races.”
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018