It was a short debut Moto2 race for Federal Oil Gresini’s Jorge Navarro today at Losail International Circuit, as the Spanish rider was forced to pull out of the encounter with 11 laps to go after crashing unhurt at turn 7.
Moments before the crash, Navarro went wide at turn one and did his utmost not to lose too much ground but eventually ended up falling off his Kalex Honda machine #9. The team will now analyse the data and come up with a plan to attack the next Grand Prix of the season in Argentina, which takes place in a fortnight’s time.
Team Manager Fausto Gresini said: “It’s definitely a pity to finish the race with a crash, given the hard work both Jorge and his crew have done during the weekend. This is part of racing, though, and part of his racing experience, all he needs is just a bit more time. Jorge needs to stay focused, the team will help him out and results will come. I’m not worried one bit.”
“It’s been a difficult weekend for us. We tried something different this morning during warm up but it didn’t really make much of a difference. My feeling with the bike is not there yet and during the race I did all I could, but I hit false neutral at the end of the main straight and ended up wide. I tried to make up as much ground as possible, but I lost the front not long afterwards. It’s a shame to come out empty handed as the goal was to finish the race. We have to stay together and work hard in order to be ready for Argentina.”
- Dakar 2018, final stage – Heroes all January 21, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 13 report: The end is in sight January 20, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 12 (cancelled) report: Safety first January 19, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 11 report: Tactics and tenacity January 18, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 10 report: “The game changer” January 17, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 9 – Rain stops play January 16, 2018
- Binder: “The KTM is the best bike in the field” January 23, 2018
- Moving on up: From the FIM CEV Repsol to Moto3™ in 2018 January 23, 2018
- Cecchinello: "Crutchlow is the best prepared rider" January 23, 2018
- 2018 Movistar Yamaha Presentation: watch LIVE and for free January 22, 2018
- Here come the rookies... January 22, 2018
- Who graduates from FIM CEV Repsol to Moto2™ in 2018? January 22, 2018