Aleix Espargaró, in his race début with the Aprilia RS-GP, rode the Italian bike to a sixth place finish after a long battle with Pedrosa for fifth, a position that he had even taken three laps from the end.
It was a stellar performance because the Aprilia Racing Team Gresini Spaniard – penalized by a starting position on the fifth row, also due to the qualifying sessions being cancelled yesterday because of the wet track – demonstrated a race pace worthy of the podium, registering the third best time in the race.
This is the best performance yet for the Aprilia RS-GP, also in terms of the gap behind the winner, contained to 7.6 seconds. Aleix, who did not have the best start, did some fast laps, moving up position by position with an impressive comeback that took him to fifth place, just behind Marquez, before yielding the spot to Pedrosa.
“I am really very happy for myself and for Aprilia. This result comes after a lot of hard work over the winter. I did not hold anything back and, beginning with my physical fitness, I tackled this project with great motivation from the start. In the second half of the race, my RS-GP was spectacular. I had much more traction than my rivals and I was able to overtake easily. We knew that we could have an advantage in poor grip conditions. The bike looks after the tyres well and even if I was unable to be as incisive as the others in the early laps, my overall pace was very good. It was a pity about the starting position. Having to make up so many positions kept us from earning an even more surprising result, but it’s all good. We got off on the right foot and now we want to continue.”
- FIM CEV Repsol back in action for Round 2 at Valencia April 25, 2018
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Marquez has Rossi and Agostini records in sight April 26, 2018
- Octo Telematics announced as title sponsor for San Marino GP April 26, 2018
- Motegi test for Suzuki and Guintoli April 26, 2018
- Nakagami: “finishing as top rookie is a nice feeling” April 25, 2018
- Is Bagnaia the man to beat in Moto2™? April 25, 2018
- Leaders will be leaders April 25, 2018