Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS rider Álex Márquez and teammate Franco Morbidelli are confident they can mount a strong double podium challenge in tomorrow’s Termas de Rio Hondo Moto2 race, after both qualified on the front row of the grid at the end of a pulsating qualifying session.
Morbidelli may have employed a safety-first approach in the early part of the session, but Márquez took the bold decision to start qualifying on slick tyres. It seemed to be a genius decision when he moved immediately into top spot before further rain spots started to fall on the fast and sweeping South American circuit.
But no sooner did the rain arrive than it quickly ceased and Márquez returned to the circuit to continue posting a sequence of blisteringly fast lap times.
He finished the session with a quickest pace of 1’45.864 that preserved his 100% front row starting record in 2017, and the confident Spaniard is now determined to compete for his first Moto2 victory in what promises to be a classic 23-lap encounter in Argentina.
Álex Márquez: 3rd – 1’45.864
“I am happy to be starting from the front row again because the track conditions were changing all of the time and so many different riders were challenging for the top three. It was a brave decision to start the session on slicks but I felt like it was worth gambling in case it was not possible to improve the lap times if more rain came. On another day perhaps that strategy would have worked but being on the front row gives me another opportunity to fight for the podium and the win. I’ve felt strong all weekend and the team have given me a great package, so we start the race tomorrow with a lot of confidence and the expectation that we can be right in the mix.”
Source: Marc VDS Racing
- WorldSBK Donington, Sunday roundup May 29, 2017
- WorldSBK Donington, Saturday roundup – World Superbike, World Supersport, WSSP300 May 27, 2017
- Photos: WorldSBK Donington Part 1 May 26, 2017
- NOT the MotoGP News: Oil! It’s all about the oil! May 26, 2017
- WorldSBK, Donington round preview May 23, 2017
- Best MotoGP finish for Pol Espargaro at Le Mans. May 22, 2017
- Morbidelli marches onto home territory at Mugello May 29, 2017
- Advantage Mir as Moto3™ fire up for Mugello May 29, 2017
- More than a race: this is Mugello May 29, 2017
- Freitag and Georgi double winners at Donington Park May 28, 2017
- Georgi and Freitag triumph in first race at Donington May 27, 2017
- Leon Orgis and Tim Georgi fastest at Donington Park May 26, 2017