Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS rider Álex Márquez and teammate Franco Morbidelli are confident they can mount a strong double podium challenge in tomorrow’s Termas de Rio Hondo Moto2 race, after both qualified on the front row of the grid at the end of a pulsating qualifying session.
Morbidelli may have employed a safety-first approach in the early part of the session, but Márquez took the bold decision to start qualifying on slick tyres. It seemed to be a genius decision when he moved immediately into top spot before further rain spots started to fall on the fast and sweeping South American circuit.
But no sooner did the rain arrive than it quickly ceased and Márquez returned to the circuit to continue posting a sequence of blisteringly fast lap times.
He finished the session with a quickest pace of 1’45.864 that preserved his 100% front row starting record in 2017, and the confident Spaniard is now determined to compete for his first Moto2 victory in what promises to be a classic 23-lap encounter in Argentina.
Álex Márquez: 3rd – 1’45.864
“I am happy to be starting from the front row again because the track conditions were changing all of the time and so many different riders were challenging for the top three. It was a brave decision to start the session on slicks but I felt like it was worth gambling in case it was not possible to improve the lap times if more rain came. On another day perhaps that strategy would have worked but being on the front row gives me another opportunity to fight for the podium and the win. I’ve felt strong all weekend and the team have given me a great package, so we start the race tomorrow with a lot of confidence and the expectation that we can be right in the mix.”
Source: Marc VDS Racing
- Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas, race weekend preview: MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 April 16, 2018
- Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas, Michelin Preview April 16, 2018
- WorldSBK Aragon, Sunday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 15, 2018
- WorldSBK Aragon, Saturday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 14, 2018
- WorldSBK Argentinian round confirmed for October April 14, 2018
- WorldSBK Aragon: Friday roundup – World Superbike, World Supersport April 13, 2018
- Getting race ready: the physical side of MotoGP™ April 19, 2018
- MotoGP™’s partnership with Parts Europe extended for 2 years April 19, 2018
- MotoAmerica fire up for COTA alongside MotoGP™ April 18, 2018
- Rossi and Marquez: live debriefs from COTA April 18, 2018
- Marquez visits Brazilian school with UNICEF April 18, 2018
- Rossi: "I'm always happy to be in Texas" April 18, 2018