Mixed conditions and the associated lack of grip at the Termas de Río Hondo Circuit formed the main challenges for the Movistar Yamaha MotoGP riders on qualifying day. Nevertheless, Maverick Viñales gave a solid performance in uncertain conditions to secure sixth place on the grid for the Gran Premio Motul de la República Argentina in his very first qualifying session on the Yamaha.
Viñales felt excited to embark on his first time attack on the Yamaha with the intention to push to the limit in the tricky conditions. After waiting for most of his rivals to have left their box during the 15-minute shoot-out, he charged towards the pit lane exit, ready to make full use of some clear space on track. Though he was held back due to rear grip issues, the 22 year-old wasn’t shy to open the throttle and consistently improved his times over the first three flying laps.
He sat in fourth place when he made a short pit stop with five minutes remaining. A minute later the Spaniard was back on his mission to move up from seventh place, trying to put his YZR-M1 in the top spot. He had just enough time for one hot lap and clocked a 1’49.218s, 1.706s from first. This personal best lap was enough to secure him sixth place on the grid for his second race start with Yamaha.
I’m not disappointed. We struggled a bit with the rear grip and I don’t know why. I felt some strange sliding on the wet, completely different than on the dry, so we have to analyse it. I think we still have to work. It was the first time I went out on the Yamaha in the rain, so there is a lot of work to do on the wet set-up, but I’m happy. In the end, I’m the first Yamaha and Valentino is always really fast on the wet, so I’m quite satisfied and confident. It’s only the second row. From there I can have a good start and also contend for the victory tomorrow.
- Aragon GP, raceday roundup – MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 September 24, 2017
- Alex Rins finihes 17th in Aragon September 24, 2017
- Maverick Viñales raced to hard-fought 4th in Aragon September 24, 2017
- Master-class race for Marquez and Pedrosa, first and second at Motorland Aragon September 24, 2017
- Podium finish for Jorge Lorenzo in Aragon September 24, 2017
- Jorge Martin 4th in Aragon September 24, 2017
- Rossi: “Until a week ago I didn’t know if I could race" September 24, 2017
- Pedrosa: “I didn’t know how the race would develop” September 24, 2017
- Marquez: “I took a lot of risk” September 24, 2017
- Lorenzo: “The victory is very close!” September 24, 2017
- First and second to Aleix Viu ends the season in Aragon September 24, 2017
- Tipping the scales: Marquez stamps his authority on Aragon September 24, 2017