The Grand Prix of Argentina proved to be a case of history repeating itself in the Moto3 class as the same three men that filled the podium in Qatar two weeks ago repeated the feat today.
Spanish rider Joan Mir made it back to back wins to consolidate his championship lead, with John McPhee and Jorge Martín repeating their respective second and third place finishes. Mir fought back from the middle of the grid with an impressive pace from the start that quickly brought him to the front of the pack.
Philipp Öttl and Andrea Migno both finished within eight tenths of the winner but were unfortunate to miss out on the podium, with their next opportunity coming in a couple of weeks at the Grand Prix of the Americas.
It was a weekend to forget for the Mahindra Pull&Bear Aspar Team, with a wrong tyre choice ruining any chance Albert Arenas had of building on his rescue mission in qualifying yesterday, when he secured a seventh row start despite crashing early on.
From the mid-point of the race it became another salvage mission for the Spaniard, as the tyre completely destroyed itself and left him struggling just to finish the race.
25th Albert Arenas:
“Our objective today was to make the most of our grid position to get involved in a fast group and stick it out for the race. However, we didn’t make the correct choice of tyre and that ruined our chances in the race. The tyre completely destroyed and I couldn’t ride, it was like riding in the wet. I couldn’t turn into the corners and I was close to crashing everywhere. From that moment I just had to try and stay on the bike and finish the race.”
- FIM CEV Repsol back in action for Round 2 at Valencia April 25, 2018
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Marquez has Rossi and Agostini records in sight April 26, 2018
- Octo Telematics announced as title sponsor for San Marino GP April 26, 2018
- Motegi test for Suzuki and Guintoli April 26, 2018
- Nakagami: “finishing as top rookie is a nice feeling” April 25, 2018
- Is Bagnaia the man to beat in Moto2™? April 25, 2018
- Leaders will be leaders April 25, 2018