The Grand Prix of Argentina proved to be a case of history repeating itself in the Moto3 class as the same three men that filled the podium in Qatar two weeks ago repeated the feat today.
Spanish rider Joan Mir made it back to back wins to consolidate his championship lead, with John McPhee and Jorge Martín repeating their respective second and third place finishes. Mir fought back from the middle of the grid with an impressive pace from the start that quickly brought him to the front of the pack.
Philipp Öttl and Andrea Migno both finished within eight tenths of the winner but were unfortunate to miss out on the podium, with their next opportunity coming in a couple of weeks at the Grand Prix of the Americas.
It was a weekend to forget for the Mahindra Pull&Bear Aspar Team, with a wrong tyre choice ruining any chance Albert Arenas had of building on his rescue mission in qualifying yesterday, when he secured a seventh row start despite crashing early on.
From the mid-point of the race it became another salvage mission for the Spaniard, as the tyre completely destroyed itself and left him struggling just to finish the race.
25th Albert Arenas:
“Our objective today was to make the most of our grid position to get involved in a fast group and stick it out for the race. However, we didn’t make the correct choice of tyre and that ruined our chances in the race. The tyre completely destroyed and I couldn’t ride, it was like riding in the wet. I couldn’t turn into the corners and I was close to crashing everywhere. From that moment I just had to try and stay on the bike and finish the race.”
- Video: CEV Repsol, Estoril: ETC race 2 highlights July 25, 2017
- Video: CEV Repsol, Estoril: ETC race 1 highlights July 25, 2017
- Video: CEV Repsol, Estoril: Moto2 race 2 highlights July 25, 2017
- Video: CEV Repsol, Estoril: Moto2 race 1 highlights July 25, 2017
- Video: CEV Repsol, Estoril: Moto3 race highlights July 25, 2017
- FIM CEV Repsol: Foggia, Granado and González consolidate leads after wins in Estoril along with Melgar July 24, 2017
- VR46 Master Camp talent take to the flat track July 25, 2017
- New students embark on Yamaha VR46 Master Camp Adventure July 24, 2017
- Foggia, Granado, Melgar and González win in Estoril July 24, 2017
- GP Recap: A double for Dovizioso at Catalunya July 23, 2017
- Fernández, Tulovic and González quickest in Portugal July 22, 2017
- Binder: “Every time I get on the bike I feel better” July 21, 2017