Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS continued its total domination of Moto2 action in Texas on Saturday, with Franco Morbidelli taking a stunning pole position at the spectacular Circuit of The Americas and with Spaniard Alex Marquez lining up alongside him with third on the grid.
Márquez preserved his impressive 100% record of starting every race from the front row of the grid this season, with a lap of 2’09.621 securing him third spot.
Quickest in practice with a best pace of 2’10.164, Márquez put up a strong fight to claim his first Moto2 pole position, despite a small fall at the final corner of the technical and physically demanding 5.5km Circuit of The Americas track.
Márquez too has shown tremendous race pace throughout the weekend and he is optimistic he can celebrate his 21st birthday in style tomorrow with a challenge for his maiden Moto2 win.
Álex Márquez: 3rd – 2’09.621
“I am happy to be on the front row because qualifying is so important here with such a tight first turn. It’s a shame I couldn’t get my first pole position in Moto2 because I felt very confident after being fastest in practice. The crash at the final corner was a small mistake and it can happen when you are pushing at this level for those crucial extra tenths. We’ve done a good job all weekend and I go into the race confident that I can be there battling for the win. It is a special day for me tomorrow, as it’s my 21st birthday. The best way to celebrate it for me personally and for the team will be with a podium and I will be giving my maximum to make it happen.”
Source: Marc VDS Racing
- FIM CEV Repsol back in action for Round 2 at Valencia April 25, 2018
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Marquez has Rossi and Agostini records in sight April 26, 2018
- Octo Telematics announced as title sponsor for San Marino GP April 26, 2018
- Motegi test for Suzuki and Guintoli April 26, 2018
- Nakagami: “finishing as top rookie is a nice feeling” April 25, 2018
- Is Bagnaia the man to beat in Moto2™? April 25, 2018
- Leaders will be leaders April 25, 2018