The MotoGP World Championship returns to Europe after the first three races of the season this weekend, with a new name on top at Jerez. Dani Pedrosa was the fastest man of the day by far, more than half a second ahead of Jack Miller and Cal Crutchlow on a day that started with rain but ended with radiant sunshine on the Andalusian circuit.
Jorge Lorenzo is the top Ducati in fourth place, a tenth faster than Danilo Petrucci and with Maverick Viñales sixth. Series leader Valentino Rossi started the Spanish Grand Prix in 12th place, 1.2 seconds behind.
Álvaro Bautista opened his home round in seventh position, with a best time (1:40.392) set on the second-to-last of his 21 laps during second free practice, the only sunny session of the day.
The Pull&Bear Aspar rider was the last man to lap within a second of the leader, although he recognises that he did not feel total confidence on the bike because there were still wet patches on the track.
Bautista ended the first day feeling positive and intent on continuing to improve at Jerez.
7th Álvaro Bautista 1:40.392 (35 laps):
“It’s been a weird day. In wet conditions I have not felt very comfortable, I was missing a bit of contact with the rear wheel and I have not been able to enjoy everything I would have liked. In the afternoon with the dry track there were still some damp sectors. In the end I felt very good with the bike, happy with the feeling, although it was a little difficult to test the tyres, especially the front, because I did not have much confidence in the wet patches. We always rode with the soft, maybe it was too soft in the end. The bike became a bit unstable and I had trouble getting into the corners. In short, we finished the first day with positive feelings, but looking forward to continue improving tomorrow. “
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018