Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS rider Álex Márquez made the perfect start to the crucial European phase of the 2017 Moto2 World Championship in Jerez today.
The big home crowd favourite was in unstoppable form in wet conditions this morning, with no other rider on a treacherously slippery surface able to lap within a second of the sensational Spaniard, who dominated FP1 with a lap of 1’58.299.
This afternoon’s second session took part in dry but windy conditions, but it was Márquez once again who remained in the ascendancy with another impressive performance.
Two-and-a-half minutes were left on the clock when Márquez completed his domination of day one with a faultless lap of 1’43.121 putting him 0.158s clear of closest rival Dominique Aegerter.
Álex Márquez: 1st – 1’43.121
“It has been a very positive start to my home race. It is always special racing at home and we could not have made a better start than being fastest in FP1 and FP2. I am pleased as well because I was fast in both the wet and dry, so it shows we are competitive in all conditions. Tomorrow we will need to improve and work more on the dry set-up but I am satisfied. I was consistent in both conditions and I feel prepared for anything, but thankfully it looks like the weather is going to be dry for the rest of the weekend. It is only Friday and while it has been a good start, we need to keep our concentration and focus to make sure we are starting from the top six after qualifying.”
Source – Marc VDS Racing
- FIM CEV Repsol back in action for Round 2 at Valencia April 25, 2018
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Is Bagnaia the man to beat in Moto2™? April 25, 2018
- Wayne Rainey: a true warrior April 25, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018