For the second consecutive day, three riders from the same manufacturer occupied the top three places on the MotoGP timesheets. Just 49 thousandths of a second separated poleman Dani Pedrosa from teammate Marc Márquez, after a last attempt in Q2 in which the latter was unable to best the 1:38.249 marker.
Next to them on the grid will be Cal Crutchlow, who finished third, two tenths off the top. Maverick Viñales, Andrea Iannone and Johann Zarco will start from the second row, while current World Championship leader Valentino Rossi is seventh.
Álvaro Bautista will begin his home Grand Prix from the sixth row of the grid, after struggling to set a good fast lap. The Pull&Bear Aspar rider did, however, put in a good pace during the fourth free practice session, so the first laps of the race will be key to establishing his possibilities at the Spanish Grand Prix.
17th Álvaro Bautista 1:39.462:
“My pace in FP4 was very good, but we have to improve our fast lap. In FP4 we made a small change to the bike to give better rear grip and be able to corner better. My pace was good and quite realistic, with tyres that had 25 laps in them at the end. However, when we put new tyres on I had trouble turning the bike in and I was fighting with it to get a good lap. Starting from the back of the grid complicates everything because you spend a lot of time trying to gain places. I will try to make a good start, although everything will depend on the first few laps.”
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018