The Portuguese rider will start Red Bull Spanish Grand Prix from fourth, with teammate Ricky Cardus in 18th place on the grid.
As the forecast had indicated, the sun made an appearance at Jerez on Saturday. With improved conditions, the Red Bull KTM Ajo team riders were able to take a step forward in their performance onboard their KTM Moto2 bikes. Miguel Oliveira will again fight for a good result from fourth position on the grid.
In FP3, the Red Bull KTM Ajo Moto2 riders took to the track with new updates to their fairings, which they were able to test on a completely dry track for the first time this weekend. Oliveira finished 5th, with a best time of 1:42.868, setting his top lap on his last outing.
The positive momentum would continue in QP, where Oliveira took advantage of the opening minutes to set his personal best lap of the whole weekend to date. His 1:42.409 earned him fourth on the grid. During the rest of the qualifying session, the Portuguese rider maintained a good pace and was satisfied with his performance.
The Spanish GP is the first European event of the season. The Moto2 race takes place at 12:20pm local time on Sunday.
44 Miguel Oliveira:
“Thanks to the test we did here in March, we had a good references for the setup and for the KTM, so we have been calmer since the start of the GP weekend. We were practically able to repeat the time set in testing, although today I was only one tenth slower. We are happy, we will start from fourth position and we have a good pace, so tomorrow we will give everything to get a positive result. The objective before starting here was the Top 5, and that continues to be the case -although there is no doubt that we will fight for the podium.”
- Dakar 2018, final stage – Heroes all January 21, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 13 report: The end is in sight January 20, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 12 (cancelled) report: Safety first January 19, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 11 report: Tactics and tenacity January 18, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 10 report: “The game changer” January 17, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 9 – Rain stops play January 16, 2018
- Binder: “The KTM is the best bike in the field” January 23, 2018
- Moving on up: From the FIM CEV Repsol to Moto3™ in 2018 January 23, 2018
- Cecchinello: "Crutchlow is the best prepared rider" January 23, 2018
- 2018 Movistar Yamaha Presentation: watch LIVE and for free January 22, 2018
- Here come the rookies... January 22, 2018
- Who graduates from FIM CEV Repsol to Moto2™ in 2018? January 22, 2018