The Portuguese rider will start Red Bull Spanish Grand Prix from fourth, with teammate Ricky Cardus in 18th place on the grid.
As the forecast had indicated, the sun made an appearance at Jerez on Saturday. With improved conditions, the Red Bull KTM Ajo team riders were able to take a step forward in their performance onboard their KTM Moto2 bikes. Miguel Oliveira will again fight for a good result from fourth position on the grid.
In FP3, the Red Bull KTM Ajo Moto2 riders took to the track with new updates to their fairings, which they were able to test on a completely dry track for the first time this weekend. Oliveira finished 5th, with a best time of 1:42.868, setting his top lap on his last outing.
The positive momentum would continue in QP, where Oliveira took advantage of the opening minutes to set his personal best lap of the whole weekend to date. His 1:42.409 earned him fourth on the grid. During the rest of the qualifying session, the Portuguese rider maintained a good pace and was satisfied with his performance.
The Spanish GP is the first European event of the season. The Moto2 race takes place at 12:20pm local time on Sunday.
44 Miguel Oliveira:
“Thanks to the test we did here in March, we had a good references for the setup and for the KTM, so we have been calmer since the start of the GP weekend. We were practically able to repeat the time set in testing, although today I was only one tenth slower. We are happy, we will start from fourth position and we have a good pace, so tomorrow we will give everything to get a positive result. The objective before starting here was the Top 5, and that continues to be the case -although there is no doubt that we will fight for the podium.”
- Aragon GP, raceday roundup – MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 September 24, 2017
- Alex Rins finihes 17th in Aragon September 24, 2017
- Maverick Viñales raced to hard-fought 4th in Aragon September 24, 2017
- Master-class race for Marquez and Pedrosa, first and second at Motorland Aragon September 24, 2017
- Podium finish for Jorge Lorenzo in Aragon September 24, 2017
- Jorge Martin 4th in Aragon September 24, 2017
- Rossi: “Until a week ago I didn’t know if I could race" September 24, 2017
- Pedrosa: “I didn’t know how the race would develop” September 24, 2017
- Marquez: “I took a lot of risk” September 24, 2017
- Lorenzo: “The victory is very close!” September 24, 2017
- First and second to Aleix Viu ends the season in Aragon September 24, 2017
- Tipping the scales: Marquez stamps his authority on Aragon September 24, 2017