The Spanish Grand Prix saw a new racewinner in the Moto3 class, as Arón Canet took victory at his home race. He did so by just 31 thousandths of a second, ahead of fellow podium finishers Romano Fenati and Joan Mir.
The Moto3 race saw a dozen drivers in the lead group for much of the contest, with countless overtaking moves amongst the trio and home rider Marcos Rámirez. The latter eventually finished fourth, ahead of Italians Fabio di Giannantonio, Andrea Migno, Nicolo Bulega and Enea Bastianini.
With his third position, Mir continues to lead the overall standings with 74 points, 9 more than Fenati and 15 more than Jorge Martin -ninth today after starting from pole.
Albert Arenas claimed Mahindra Northgate Aspar’s first points of the season, thanks to a hard-fought fourteenth place. The Spaniard started the morning with third place in the warmup session and aspired to enter into the battle for the Top 10.
However, the lead group of a dozen riders broke away early on, with Arenas thus changing his target to twelfth position. The Spaniard was up into the spot when, on the last lap, an incident with another rider relegated him two positions.
14th Albert Arenas:
“After having had a good warmup in the morning, I’m learning to ride comfortably on the limit. The goal was to score points, but after finishing third in the warmup we aspired to trying to keep up with the lead group. However, that group had already broken away on the opening lap, so I just tried to maintain a good pace. I gave my all, and in the end we got the first points for Mahindra this season. It was a shame about the last lap because I was up into twelfth, but I had an incident with another rider in which I almost crashed. I was able to save it, but now it is necessary to learn from this, so that it doesn’t happen to me again. We are happy to have been competitive, but we want more.”
- WorldSBK Donington, Sunday roundup May 29, 2017
- WorldSBK Donington, Saturday roundup – World Superbike, World Supersport, WSSP300 May 27, 2017
- Photos: WorldSBK Donington Part 1 May 26, 2017
- NOT the MotoGP News: Oil! It’s all about the oil! May 26, 2017
- WorldSBK, Donington round preview May 23, 2017
- Best MotoGP finish for Pol Espargaro at Le Mans. May 22, 2017
- Morbidelli marches onto home territory at Mugello May 29, 2017
- Advantage Mir as Moto3™ fire up for Mugello May 29, 2017
- More than a race: this is Mugello May 29, 2017
- Freitag and Georgi double winners at Donington Park May 28, 2017
- Georgi and Freitag triumph in first race at Donington May 27, 2017
- Leon Orgis and Tim Georgi fastest at Donington Park May 26, 2017