Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS rider Álex Márquez claimed his maiden Moto2 Grand Prix victory with a dominant performance in his home race at Jerez today.
Márquez’s emotional victory came in his 39th Moto2 race start and triggered joyous celebrations. The 21-year-old Spaniard dedicated his Mother’s Day triumph to his mother Roser.
Márquez started the Spanish GP from pole position and set a fast early pace with teammate Franco Morbidelli a constant presence in second place.
On a hot and sunny day in southern Spain Márquez finished 3.4s ahead of Pecco Bagnaia in second place.
In advance of the next race at Le Mans, Márquez is fourth on 49 points.
Álex Márquez: 1st
“This is unbelievable, I could not have imagined a victory like this in front of my home fans. I want to dedicate this win to my mum on Mother’s Day. It was a long wait for three years to catch a victory and winning in Jerez is a dream come true. It was a difficult race in hot conditions and when I saw Franco crash I knew how easy it was to make mistake. I could not hold my maximum pace because I was on the limit with the front grip so just controlled the gap to the riders behind. I want to thank everyone in the team and all those who support me in Spain.”
Source – Marc VDS Racing
- Video: CEV Repsol, Estoril: ETC race 2 highlights July 25, 2017
- Video: CEV Repsol, Estoril: ETC race 1 highlights July 25, 2017
- Video: CEV Repsol, Estoril: Moto2 race 2 highlights July 25, 2017
- Video: CEV Repsol, Estoril: Moto2 race 1 highlights July 25, 2017
- Video: CEV Repsol, Estoril: Moto3 race highlights July 25, 2017
- FIM CEV Repsol: Foggia, Granado and González consolidate leads after wins in Estoril along with Melgar July 24, 2017
- VR46 Master Camp talent take to the flat track July 25, 2017
- New students embark on Yamaha VR46 Master Camp Adventure July 24, 2017
- Foggia, Granado, Melgar and González win in Estoril July 24, 2017
- GP Recap: A double for Dovizioso at Catalunya July 23, 2017
- Fernández, Tulovic and González quickest in Portugal July 22, 2017
- Binder: “Every time I get on the bike I feel better” July 21, 2017